Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Bulk DID Import - Best practice

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JMK, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMK

JMK

OK, you can't bulk add DIDs on the SIP trunk it has to be done on with import and Inbound Rules. I don't believe I want or need but a couple of the rules created by the import so my question is; Can I just delete them after the import is done which appears to leave the DIDs defined on the SIP trunk? Also is there some reason I would want to keep them given I just want to assign the DID to the extension and many of the DIDs are for future use?

2. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @JMK

Just add those you need, but note that if all your DIDs are active from the provider, then if called, will all route based on your main number's rules.

3. JMK

JMK

Based on your response I think I need to re-phrase the question(s).
    Why do I need all the Inbound Rules created by the import process other than this is the only method to mass import DIDs?

Is there a reason why I shouldn't delete the rules (leaving the DIDs defined on the SIP trunk)?

Since this is the supported method for bulk add of DIDs is having all of these Inbound Rules considered Best Practice? I only have about 60 for this install but what about systems with hundreds. In other systems I've worked with all of these rules would be resource intensive and not recommended.

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

You need DID's and you need Inbound Rules. Without Inbound Rules, they will not route.
    So, all DID's will follow the same route of the trunk if not designated a specific route under DID's.
    I have 10 DID's - I have 10 Inbound Rules.

This is how all phone systems pretty much work. A call comes in - it looks for a matching route.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mariosM_3CX

mariosM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @JMK

As @craigreilly said, you'll need the inbound rules to route the calls according to your needs.
    In order to be more specific here, how are you going to use your DIDs?
    For example, you have a main trunk number(100000) and two DIDs (100001, 100002). Using the trunk's routing you point your main number(100000) to a Queue.
    What do you want to do when 100001 and 1000002 are called?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.