Busy tone when call limit reached

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by falcontech, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falcontech

is it possible to play a busy tone when the call limit has been reached? I see that a busy error is sent in the SIP message but our sip provider sees that as a error and is sending calls to the DR route. We want to force our users to a set limit of simultaneous calls into the system and when it is reached we want the caller to hear a busy tone.

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

If the limit was reached.. there'd be no way for the PBX to answer the call via IVR to play some busy tone.

Best bet would be to workout the failover config with the trunk provider.. though their response sounds like what they'd normally do.

3. falcontech

but the call is technically answered since it replied to the incoming call and returned to the sip provider "Busy Here" how about instead of sending a busy tone instead?

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Do not confuse an answer to a SIP response. 3CX is telling the SIP provider that it cannot process the call, so there is no "answer" (no ack, no ring, etc.).

The issue is that "busy here" (486) is somewhat ambiguous. It leaves open the possibility that there "MAY" indeed be alternate routes available (SIP Proxy). The disaster recovery option being employed by the SIP provider may be how they interpret the alternate route reaction to the 486 response code. It may be possible to work with them to handle the 486 response as shown below instead.

Instead, the alternative response code of 600 could be employed which is essentially a "busy everywhere" (meaning no alternatives). This is reportedly a supported response code within 3CX, but I am not clear as to the conditions by which the response would be engaged. You might want to contact 3CX support or your reseller for more clarity.

I suppose there could be some settings that allow for its use, but a glance at the advanced, custom parameters did not reveal anything that just stood out to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.