Calendar Invites from User not System

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dcourtney, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcourtney

Hey All,

Just wondering if there is a way to make conference invites come from the user's email address and not the system so the users know what attendees have responded. I may have missed a setting but I don't see one.

- 3CX V15
    - Office 365 Impersonation setup.

Thanks,
    David

klentz likes this.
  2. dcourtney

Bump, this is still an ongoing issue with one of our customers, is it possible for the calendar invite to originate from the organizer of the meeting?

Thanks,
    David

klentz likes this.
  3. klentz

We also want to see this ability for the Conference Call invitation to come from the user's email that created the conference call. We have the same reason... Our users want to be notified if the invite is forwarded and when someone accepts or rejects the invite.

We are puzzled as to why it is not already setup this way if a user email address exists under their extension, especially since the conference is user created (and not system created).

Also, the system should automatically end the conference call when all parties have disconnected from the call.

4. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

.... the email server that's sending these invites, is it capable of passing on / using these email addresses even though it's not the authentication email address ? I believe it should be using the users email address ...
    Edit: Just tested. The email was from our system's "donotreply@" email address, but the reply-to was set to my email address. (and it really looked like it was from me, I only see the "donotreply" email by looking at the headers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. klentz

Our email server is Microsoft Exchange. How would we set it to have the reply-to address be the user's email address? We were told by 3CX Support that "there is no way around the fact that the email will be dispatched by the account configured in the 3CX Management Console". Dispatching it is one thing, but if we can get it setup like yours so that the reply-to address is the user, that would be ideal. Right now, any replies are sent to the donotreply email address.

6. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

No config was needed other than using an email account that let's us send as pretty much anybody. We use o365 at the office but used an old email account with another provider for 3cx so that we could customize the "from" from 3cx notifications. Totally by fluke we discovered it also changes the from / reply to in conference invites to show the email of the organiser ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello there,
    Just tested now and i can confirm what JasonNadeau is saying. The reply-to address is the email address of the extension creating the conference. Tested with gmail and hotmail (live) smtp servers both have the same behaviour

8. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

I love when things get solved :)

9. klentz

Well, I'm glad that works for some, but without knowing how to configure it on the Exchange server, that doesn't work for us. We can configure the reply-to so it goes to one specific user, but that won't resolve our issue. We need the replies to go to whatever user setup the conference call.

10. klentz

This is not happening for us with Exchange server

11. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

I guess what I'm saying is that this is an issue with your email server, not 3cx. At this point it would make more sense to be asking on a Microsoft Exchange forum since that's where your issue is. 3cx does what you're asking for out of the box, your exchange server isn't passing on the info.

12. klentz

I understand what you're saying. I don't agree with it since 3CX said they didn't create it to do that. They said "there is no way around the fact that the email will be dispatched by the account configured in the 3CX Management Console." and you said it was totally by fluke that you discovered it.

3CX, it would still be great to see this capability purposely built in.

13. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

I'm pretty sure I read in an update log about this capability ...I'll check it out.

However at the end of the day, it is working how you want it to - your email server is breaking it.

14. klentz

Let's say we use a gmail or hotmail account to set this up since you say it is working...

When a conference call is scheduled and people receive the invite (before responding), does the invite come from a gmail/hotmail account?
    If so, that's not acceptable. A gmail or hotmail account does not give the 'professional' appearance.
    If not, please elaborate on what settings were used in 3CX because we would not be opposed to using a gmail or hotmail account as long as the following are true:

1) The recipient does not see the gmail or hotmail domain
    2) When the recipient replies, the response is sent to the (Exchange) email address of the person who created the conference call
    • not to one specific 'reply-to' address on our Exchange server
    • not to the gmail / hotmail account

15. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Hi Klentz,
    just looking at the email, it'll look like it comes from user@yourdomain.com, if you expand the headers you can see it used a gmail / hotmail account to send it. Hitting REPLY will send and show the users exchange email address.
    There is ZERO config needed in the 3cx to do this.

16. SupportRequestor

I put this to the test and here's my results on the receiving end for O365
    SMTP Relay to O365/O365 SMTP with Reply-To specified results in the ICS file being processed but the e-mail does not appear to come from the end-user.
    SMTP Rely to O365/O365 SMTP without Reply-To specified results in the ICE file being considered invalid but the e-mail appears to come from the end-user.
    GMAIL with Reply-To specified results in the ICS file being processed but the e-mail does not appear to come from the end-user.
    GMAIL with the Reply-To specified results in the ICS file being considered invalid but the e-mail appears to come from the end-user.

This seems to be the result of the user who schedules being the attendee while the organizer is blank in the ICS file if no reply address is specified.

I'd be interested in knowing what people are doing if they have different results.

ICS file with no reply-to specified below:

Code:
    BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    PRODID:-//3CX/ConferencePlace v.12//EN
    METHOD:REQUEST
    VERSION:2.0
    BEGIN:VEVENT
    ORGANIZER;CN=:MAILTO:
    ATTENDEE;ROLE=CHAIR;RSVP=FALSE;CN="Some Person":MAILTO:organizer@domain.tld
    ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;RSVP=FALSE;CN="attendee@domain.tld":MAILTO:attendee@domain.tld
    DTSTAMP:20170403T172644Z
    DTSTART:20170404T174125Z
    DTEND:20170404T184125Z
    CLASSUBLIC
    SUMMARY:3CX Conference: <Conference Name>
    DESCRIPTION:
    UID:{<Censored>}
    SEQUENCE:0
    BEGIN:VALARM
    ACTIONISPLAY
    DESCRIPTION:<Description>
    TRIGGER;RELATED=STARTT00H15M00S
    END:VALARM
    END:VEVENT
    END:VCALENDAR

17. dcourtney

Yeah,

I'm not really sure what I'm missing. If I have a reply-to address setup in the system settings the email goes through no problem, if you send a response it uses the organizer's email address, but if you accept the message the calendar acceptance goes back to the Reply-To address and not the organizer. If we take out the Reply-To address then the ICS shows as invalid, the header shows the from address coming from the organizers display name and not their email address.

We are using a fully O365 environment, should we instead be relaying messages from Google?

Thanks,
    David

18. dcourtney

Thanks to everyone who has been active on this thread. I have confirmed with 3CX support that this functionality is not expected from the 3CX server. 3CX is expected to just relay the message and not send the message from the organizers email address. It was suggested that I submit this to the Ideas forum, so if you like the idea of having Exchange impersonation for the calendar invites, please help up vote the thread.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/conference-invites-sent-using-exchange-impersonation.48530/

Thanks,
    David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.