Call By Name Directory - One user's last name is only two letters.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by intouch4, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intouch4

Hi,

I have a user with a two letter last name. Consequently, the call by name directory will not go to his extension because it requires 3 letters. Is there any suggestions on how to make the call by name directory work for this user?

#1 intouch4, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

May be you can add zero ('0') to name. Long time ago I recall something like that in the forums.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. intouch4

I tested adding the 0 which does allow the call by name directory to work, however, no one would know to dial the 0 when searching the dial by name directory. Is there a way to set the system to search based on the first two letters of the last name instead of 3 and/or is it possible to have it search by both first name and last name?

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

6. intouch4

Thank you sip.bg. The link to the call by name topic gets me on the right path. I set the CALLBYNAME_MINLEN to 2 which resolved the initial issue and allowed the call by name directory to work for the user but it created another issue that was referred to in the topic with the recording asking for 3 letters. I assumed by changing the MINLEN to 2, the call by name directory would still work even when entering 3 letters, therefore allowing me to just leave the original recording. Unfortunately, if you enter 3 letters, the system just prompts you "Please enter the first 3 letters of the last name" over and over again. This option will work, we will just need to create a new recording that asks the caller to enter the first 2 letters of the last name.

Adding a 0 for short names does work but callers would not know to enter the 0 when using the call by name directory unless we created a new recording that gave them instructions such as "Please enter the first 3 letters of the users last name, if the users last name doesn't have 3 letters, enter a 0 after entering the first two letters....." It would be a nice feature if the system would automatically add a '0' or '00' after a set period of time if only one or two letters are entered in the call by name directory.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated and have given me a couple of options that we can make work. Thank you.

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You are welcome

8. sutibun

Get a WAV editor and splice in a "two, to, or too" from another recording....

#8 sutibun, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.