• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call By Name Directory - One user's last name is only two letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intouch4

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a user with a two letter last name. Consequently, the call by name directory will not go to his extension because it requires 3 letters. Is there any suggestions on how to make the call by name directory work for this user?

Last edited:
May be you can add zero ('0') to name. Long time ago I recall something like that in the forums.

I tested adding the 0 which does allow the call by name directory to work, however, no one would know to dial the 0 when searching the dial by name directory. Is there a way to set the system to search based on the first two letters of the last name instead of 3 and/or is it possible to have it search by both first name and last name?

Thank you sip.bg. The link to the call by name topic gets me on the right path. I set the CALLBYNAME_MINLEN to 2 which resolved the initial issue and allowed the call by name directory to work for the user but it created another issue that was referred to in the topic with the recording asking for 3 letters. I assumed by changing the MINLEN to 2, the call by name directory would still work even when entering 3 letters, therefore allowing me to just leave the original recording. Unfortunately, if you enter 3 letters, the system just prompts you "Please enter the first 3 letters of the last name" over and over again. This option will work, we will just need to create a new recording that asks the caller to enter the first 2 letters of the last name.

Adding a 0 for short names does work but callers would not know to enter the 0 when using the call by name directory unless we created a new recording that gave them instructions such as "Please enter the first 3 letters of the users last name, if the users last name doesn't have 3 letters, enter a 0 after entering the first two letters....." It would be a nice feature if the system would automatically add a '0' or '00' after a set period of time if only one or two letters are entered in the call by name directory.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated and have given me a couple of options that we can make work. Thank you.

You are welcome

the system just prompts you "Please enter the first 3 letters of the last name" over and over again.

Get a WAV editor and splice in a "two, to, or too" from another recording....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.