Call by Name - Using First Name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by HieronymousMerkin, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HieronymousMerkin

is there any way to use the spell or dial by name directory and use the First Name rather than last name? Many callers do not know the last name and it is very frustrating for them? I am guessing I could just enter the names backwards, but the prompt would still say Last name?

2. jasit

jasit New Member

Hi,

Yes, I changed my system, so that it will do the search
    either the first or the last name
    copy callbyname.aspx.cs to callbyname.aspx.cs.original
    edit callbyname.aspx.cs
    look for
    !Matches(ext.LastName.ToLowerInvariant(), mask)

change the line to search for first or last name, instead of just last name

if (!Matches(ext.FirstName.ToLowerInvariant(), mask) && !Matches(ext.LastName.ToLowerInvariant(), mask))

now test the system to make sure that (don't mind the voice saying search for last name, that will still need to be changed.) it searches by first or last name.

Search for the line if (list.Length == 1) and comment out the whole if statement

I don't like the fact that when there is only one result it automatically dials the number, I like when it says the name so you can verify it, then you press 1 to dial the number... I just didn't want to delete the code.

save the file

now login to the management console, and under advance settings create a new prompt set and make it active (it will copy all the voice prompts from the current setup. This needs to be done so that you can change the prompt, if you don't it will not use the new prompt.

Record a new version of UserName.wav. and make sure it is stored with your new prompt set and you are done.

3. joebocop

I've been using this trick on 3CX systems since you posted it, jasit.

Until today! I upgraded to v14 sp2 (from 12.5), dug into the CallByName.aspx.cs file as before, made the changes, rebooted the server and.... the call by name feature only searches by Last Name.

I've tried re-editing the file, re-creating the file, rebooting a million times, but still it won't search by first name using the modification you posted.

Have you tried with v14 sp2? Has anyone? Can anyone account for why this would no longer work?

Thanks!

4. jasit

jasit New Member

I will take a look and see If I can figure it out. We never upgraded from v11 because we still like the original myphone app. it runs on windows 10 fine, so we never felt the need to change it.

I will try it on a demo machine with a fresh install.

5. joebocop

Very much appreciated jasit! Let me know what you uncover... would dearly love not to have to spend time this weekend rolling back to v12.5.

6. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

Jasit you should upgrade to v14. MyPhone was only superior to 3CXPhone up until about SP2 of 3CX V12.

3CXPhone is amazing now, and with v14 SP2 the best yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. joebocop

Would love to know if you're having any luck getting this functionality up and running in v14. Lifeline, you using this?

8. jasit

jasit New Member

I setup v14 and made the settings changes, and it seems to be ignoring that file now. It's a shame they didn't build that in as a option. Sorry but I couldn't get it working.

I have tested every version that has come out since version 11 and I am still glad we stayed on 11. I agree the newer versions have some great features, but the simplicity of the original Myphone app is exactly what our receptionist likes. It loads up, sits in the corner of her screen, she can see what calls are going on, and easily transfer calls. It works with Windows 10 without issues.

jasit

9. joebocop

Thanks for looking into it, jasit! We're going to roll back to v12.5 and use your excellent modifications to call by first name on that version. Cheers.

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Excuse me but there is a reason why we chose last name.. Last name is more UNIQUE than first name,
    Open a feature request.. Editing that file is not recommended... Only if you want to get unpredictable behavior...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. joebocop

Thanks nickybrg,

Please note that we do not wish to get rid of the ability to search by last name; only to add the ability to also search by first name. For a couple of years, the very simple c# modification posted here by jasit has provided exactly the functionality we sought. We have been fortunate not to have experienced any unpredictable behaviour as a result.

I will open a feature request. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.