UPDATE: My colleague was able to push through the wizard in IE on the server itself. However the calling delay issue persisted. I installed the latest service pack yesterday, after the fact users reported (and I confirmed) the dialer has a 20-30 lag to initiate a call. I tried rolling back the update (via a restore from the 24th) this morning and the issue persists and now I can't push through the wizard in the management console. It won't do anything when I click finish - tried in multiple browsers and incognito sessions so rule out cache/cookie issues. I even rebooted the server itself since I can't get into the console to restart the services.