• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

corporate13

Gold Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
We have thousands of Yealink phones purchased and in use, and now in V15 call forwarding on the Yealink stopped working. If a user needs to forward to another extension in the office it seems that this feature should work like it did in all previous firmware's with version 14.

Please vote to get the Yealink T48G and T48S firmware fixed to work with version15. Support says it's not a supported feature. If Yealink is to be a supported phone the forward feature and features of the phone should work. We switched from Cisco to Yealink to get this feature working. I dont understand why it's not acceptable to resolve for all phones. It's a feature used in business environments for internal and external calls.

Upvote 33
I am disappointed to learn that this is not a supported feature.

We just (Feb 22) installed a new 3CX system and of course my COO stops me in the hallway and asks: "Where is the call forward button?" At the same time 2 others walking by stop and say: "Yes, I tried that feature and it worked for about 15 minutes then went away. Can you fix it?" I search and see this thread. :(

I voted yes and we are debating if we want to try the workaround mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Reactions: Delo123
This is what I found as the issue independently as well. Also I have a post similar to this, but this one has more traction ;). Guys, don't forgot not to only vote in the poll, but also rate the thread five stars. I see almost double the votes in the poll right now, but the metric that is meant to be used is the rating.
I've got an email into our sales rep as well as his boss basically demanding an answer.

Hi guys,

I've been getting this problem as well so I voted yes. My guess is they've disabled the bw.feature_key_sync to "enforce" users to use the app or webclient.

The least they could do is make it an option in the phone provisioning settings like the transfer method and backlight options...

Cheers.

I've got an email into our sales rep as well as his boss basically demanding an answer.
OK, so I got a response from our rep a few weeks ago and neglected to post it (sorry). This is mostly an issue with Yealink, not 3CX. The "supported" firmware that 3CX recommends has the bw.feature_key_sync disabled. So, BOO on 3CX for using this firmware as the "supported" one. It's basically both 3CX and Yealink's fault for not having this work. They need to work together and have a firmware that enables bw.feature_key_sync and is also supported by 3CX.

Reactions: Plains_JosephW
You can sill modify the phone and make this work.

Yealink removed the feature from the gui and phone interface in the newer versions of the firmware. It is now only configurable only by customizing the template. Not only that the verbiage in the template to make it work changed.

From Page 389 of the Yealink 82.22 phone administrator guide:

features.feature_key_sync.enable =
0 for disabled, 1 for enabled.

Reactions: dkeethler
You can sill modify the phone and make this work.

Yealink removed the feature from the gui and phone interface in the newer versions of the firmware. It is now only configurable only by customizing the template. Not only that the verbiage in the template to make it work changed.

From Page 389 of the Yealink 82.22 phone administrator guide:

features.feature_key_sync.enable =
0 for disabled, 1 for enabled.
I'm sitting here just shaking my head. I don't understand and no one from 3CX cares enough to address it. As of last week, we are starting to look at other solutions.

If you want a feature that isn't provided by the 3cx templates than use custom templates.

If you find things don't work and you need 3CX's help you simply have to put the phone in question back to the 3CX template and test it and have them help if it persists.

Not a big deal. Custom templates aren't forbidden.

If you want a feature that isn't provided by the 3cx templates than use custom templates.

If you find things don't work and you need 3CX's help you simply have to put the phone in question back to the 3CX template and test it and have them help if it persists.

Not a big deal. Custom templates aren't forbidden.
That's just it, though. They won't help if you use a custom template at all. Even if all you do is change a 1 to a 0 or vice versa. If it's not defaulted, then you're SOL. No one from 3CX can give a reason as to why they removed this feature. They can add it in the default template...but won't.

Sure but you have to see it their way as well. For every person who wants the stock template to default one way there is another person who wants it defaulted another way.

Call forwarding through the desk phone is a legacy way of doing things. Yes they can make it work with minor changes to the default template but they prefer to have you use the webclient which gives administrators the ability to see that calls are forwarded on the extension. Also if they use statuses with one being set to forward they can toggle the status through the desk phone (dial code), through the web client, through 3cxphone on the pc or mobile. So much more flexible than the legacy way.

3CX isn't going to force you to change all phones back to their stock template if you have trouble just to provide help. They will make you change the extension having trouble to the stock template to help you. This is a 30 second change with newer phones (Yealink, others) in the latest 3cx. The phone doesn't even have to reboot to re-provision. It really isn't a big deal. We have 75% (used to be 100%) of our customers on custom templates because the customers always want changes.

Then when new templates come out you just have to apply your changes to the new template and re-provision. Winmerge is great at that.

With 15.5 SP4 (i think it was introduced with sp3) they have now added the ability to change some of the settings on a per extension basis. There is no way for them to add all the features there that everyone can think of.

3CX support will respond that it's never been supported and won't help you. However, it's a simple fix that they changed in their template about 6 months ago that caused the issue with forwarding on Yealink.
Do this below and you will be all set.

If you search the template for: bw.feature_key_sync = 1

Change the “1” to “0”, and call forwarding works on the Yealink after it updates from the template. It’s a change 3CX needs to make to fix the issue. Everything will work great after that.

Hi Alden Lorimor,

I am not able to find the bw.feature_key_sync = 1 in my template for my Yealink T29G phone. I searched the entire template and can't find that anywere, am I missing something? Can you help me here? I have a customer that is in dire need of this function to work as they forward their reception extension several times a day and can't do it from the web client as they don't have a PC at this location. They were using old Polycom phones that worked fine but when their Polycom stopped working we replaced it with the Yealink T29G and now can't forward this extension. They need to be able to forward to different extensions, ring groups and outside numbers several times a day.

Hi Alden Lorimor,

I am not able to find the bw.feature_key_sync = 1 in my template for my Yealink T29G phone. I searched the entire template and can't find that anywere, am I missing something? Can you help me here? I have a customer that is in dire need of this function to work as they forward their reception extension several times a day and can't do it from the web client as they don't have a PC at this location. They were using old Polycom phones that worked fine but when their Polycom stopped working we replaced it with the Yealink T29G and now can't forward this extension. They need to be able to forward to different extensions, ring groups and outside numbers several times a day.
The T29 phone should be using the yealinkT4x.ph.xml template. Is that the template you are trying to copy to modify the custom template?

Keep in mind that this is creating a custom template and will not be supported by 3CX

https://www.3cx.com/docs/custom-ip-phone-templates/#h.m34qy6sz5kgd
Assuming you are using the link I gave with instructions, I'll offer some advice. The steps in the instructions are a little out of order. The below steps are referencing the step name in the doc.

1. Duplicate the base template: In the 3CX console, copy the template you want to modify and save it with a custom name
2. Universal Templates: There is a directory map to find your new template. In your 3CX server Go there to find your new custom template.
3. Yealink-specific template changes: Follow the instructions in this step. Open your custom template with a program like notepad++ and make the modification shown in the instructions. Be careful to read carefully

When you go to add a new phone to your 3CX phone system, you should see the new template available when adding a new phone. For any phones that I already had on my phone system, I had to delete the phone and then add it back in using the new template. Once added back in you just re provision it and it should work.

This can be a bit complicated, so if you are not comfortable then I suggest reconsidering. I suggest testing on a dummy phone before attempting on your clients phone.

Good luck

After all, I did finally get this to work using a custom template and instructions from the following link.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/custom-ip-phone-templates/#h.m34qy6sz5kgd

Hi Alden Lorimor,

Hi Alden Lorimor,

I believe CentrexJ posted the answer you're looking for earlier in the thread. In newer Yealink firmwares, bw.feature_key_sync no longer works, instead you should use features.feature_key_sync.enable= 0 or 1.

If it's not there, just add it to your template.

However, I have to warn you, it doesn't work perfectly. For example, if your phone is logged in a Q, and you forward the calls to another phone, the call forwarding will work, if the call is missed, it will show up in missed Q calls in 3CX app, but: on the 3CX app of the phone that received forwarded call, it will also show up in regular missed calls with a wrong number! The number of the missed call will be the number of the Q, not the number of the caller. But it will show up as it should while the call is ringing. So that may spark some confusion in the office... :)

This functionality was requested by a larger client and making a custom template for them and loosing support isn't an option.
If these are supported phones, the features should be supported.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.