Call forward to Skype name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pwashburn, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwashburn

Evaluating 3CX. We have a dozen or so people globally disbursed that we would like to be able to contact through their Skype Name. Already have inbound Skype connections setup through a Skype Connect SIP connection.

Looks like the Call Forward options would allow you to forward a call to a Skype name: "To external number or Skype ID". I've created an extension that will only serve to forward a call to a person's Skype name when it is rung. There won't necessary be a physical or soft phone assigned to this extension. Two issues.

1. "Target is not registered" when I attempt to call that extension. How do I register an extension that won't have a phone associated with it.

2. What type of Outbound Rule do I create to handle a call out to the Skype network? I get a "There's no outbound rule for external number 'john.doe' defined".

When I create an Outbound Rule, it gets fired and attempts to route the call through my Skype Connect SIP connection, but I get the following error reported back:
    Call to sip:john.doe@sip.skype.com:5060 has failed; Cause: 484 Address Incomplete; from IP:204.9.161.164:5060

Any one got a 3CX extension to route to a Skype name?

Thanks
    Pete

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall something about not being able to send a call to a Skype name when using Skype SIP. I'm sure that this can be confirmed, or not, by doing some searches.

If it turns out that that is the case, then you may want to consider installing the 3CX Skype Gateway for your outgoing calls.

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype.html

Note that you must use an older version of Skype (and disable the auto update feature).

Once you install that, you can create an outbound rule that will "convert" a number to a Skype name for each person that you wish to dial.

3. pwashburn

Darn, okay thanks. Was hoping for a little more integrated solution. But, looking at the Skype Connect web page, I see that it doesn't allow outbound calls to Skype Names through the Skype SIP connection. So it must be a purposeful decision on Skype's part to not allow that. Maybe a way to sell more Skype Online Numbers. Might mean that the back door approach shown on 3CX's webpage might be obsoleted at some point. Oh well. At least we have a Skype in connection where our customers can reach us via Skype at no cost.

Thanks
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.