• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

call forwarding in 3cx using spa3102

Status
Not open for further replies.

new4

Reaction score
Hi :!:

I'm trying to forward a call that comes into 3cx through the spa3102 pstn gateway, to an outside number. I only have 1 pstn line registered with the spa3102. Is it possible to forward all incoming calls, or in order to do this I need to use a second pstn line or another voip provider?? Do I need to make additional settings in the spa3102 for this to work??
Because, call forwarding this way doesn't work and all callers keep getting the message: this number doesn't exist!!!

Thank you all in advance,

Vassilis
Rhodes island-Greece

You will need another outbound route of some sort. That could be another PSTN trunk via a second 3102, or through a VoIP provider. Unless you have a call forwarding option , on the phone line from your PSTN provider, and a way to activate and deactivate through 3CX (# and * will not pass to the 3102), then you have to spring for the second line.

If I choose to use another voip provider, how exactly can I do this?? I have set an outbound rule for the forwarding to the outside number 2241500345 (pls refer to attachment) and I have put 9 in front to indicate that this call will be routed through the voip provider (not the PSTN line that receives the call). However I must be doing something wrong, because I'm still getting the message: This number does not exist! :oops: Are there maybe more settings that need to be done either in the 3cx or the spa3102?? And could you please elaborate on what you wrote: and a way to activate and deactivate through 3CX (# and * will not pass to the 3102), ??

Thank you in advance for your help,

Vassilis

leejor said:
You will need another outbound route of some sort. That could be another PSTN trunk via a second 3102, or through a VoIP provider. Unless you have a call forwarding option , on the phone line from your PSTN provider, and a way to activate and deactivate through 3CX (# and * will not pass to the 3102), then you have to spring for the second line.

Attachments

• Spa3102 settings.jpg
    Spa3102 settings.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,564
Call forwarding is generally done, as an option from an extension. i.e. ... If the call isn't answered, rather than going to voicemail, send call to....outside number. The way you are doing it should work too, you just need to be sure that your outbound rules have a second route available.

This means that from an extension (or the PBX itself), the outbound rules have to be able to handle a call dialled to that number. (has to take the correct route). This could be an individual rule, set up specificity for that dialled number, an extension, or the VoIP trunk can be set as the second route outbound route for a "general" rule. In that later case, the first route (PSTN gateway) would be busy with the incoming call, so any outbound call would automatically go to the VoIP trunk

Thank you! I will perform all necessary tests and get back to you :!:

I must be doing something terribly wrong here, because I can't get it to work.. :oops: Maybe it's better if I explain what I want to do,in order for you to give me the proper directions. As said, I have only 1 pstn line which comes into 3cx with the spa3102. Since this way, I can only handle just 1 incoming call and there's no way to make an outgoing call through the pstn line(because it's busy with the incoming at the time), I thought of forwarding ALL incoming calls to a registered (with 3cx) voip number which is able of handling multiple (simultaneously) incoming calls. Thus the pstn line will remain constantly free to accept new incoming calls and also free to make all outgoing calls. I have also activated with the pstn provider the on busy call farwarding option, so if someone calls at the time of an outgoing call, then they will be also forwarded to that same voip number (in queue).Is this scenario feasible?? Do I have right in my mind? And how exactly can it be achieved?? What's the best way to do it, according to the best of your knowledge??

Thank you in advance for all your guidance and help,

Vassilis

leejor said:
Call forwarding is generally done, as an option from an extension. i.e. ... If the call isn't answered, rather than going to voicemail, send call to....outside number. The way you are doing it should work too, you just need to be sure that your outbound rules have a second route available.

This means that from an extension (or the PBX itself), the outbound rules have to be able to handle a call dialled to that number. (has to take the correct route). This could be an individual rule, set up specificity for that dialled number, an extension, or the VoIP trunk can be set as the second route outbound route for a "general" rule. In that later case, the first route (PSTN gateway) would be busy with the incoming call, so any outbound call would automatically go to the VoIP trunk

new4 said:
I have also activated with the pstn provider the on busy call farwarding option, so if someone calls at the time of an outgoing call, then they will be also forwarded to that same voip number (in queue).Is this scenario feasible?? Do I have right in my mind? And how exactly can it be achieved?? What's the best way to do it, according to the best of your knowledge??

It sounds like you are using (or planning to use) a call forwarding options from your provider. If that is the case, then it will have nothing to do with the call forward options within 3CX. In fact, if forwarding is active, you may get a short ring to remind you of that fact, but you will not get any call.

PSTN provided call forwarding is usually one of two types. fixed or variable. In fixed, you've told your PSTN provider what number you want the calls to go to, you then dial a code to activate or de-activate. In variable, you must enter the number you wish to forward the call to each time.

Unless you are paying for it, most call forward options will only allow one active call at a time to be forwarded. Be sure to check with your provider to see it they allow more than one at a time.

leejor said:
PSTN provided call forwarding is usually one of two types. fixed or variable. In fixed, you've told your PSTN provider what number you want the calls to go to, you then dial a code to activate or de-activate. In variable, you must enter the number you wish to forward the call to each time.Unless you are paying for it, most call forward options will only allow one active call at a time to be forwarded. Be sure to check with your provider to see it they allow more than one at a time.

You are absolutely right!I only have a forwarding option for just one call.And there's nothing they (provider) can do about it, I was told.. Nevertheless, what I want to do is to forward incoming calls to the spa3102 (my pstn line) to a voip number registered in 3cx, using an alternate voip provider for that call (not the pstn line because it's already busy receiving the call).
How can I implement this?? You told me I have to use a second (alternate) route for that call. How exactly will this work?
These are the settings for Spa3102 and and these are the outbound rules for that call (pls notice the prefix 9).
Is this how it should be? Because I've also tried this, and can't get it to work.. What am I doing wrong here?? :oops:

Thank you in advance

Vassilis

Attachments

• Spa3102 settings.jpg
    Spa3102 settings.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,508
  • Alternate Outbound rule.jpg
    Alternate Outbound rule.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,508
In your outbound rules, you probably need to specify the digit length (11?) for the entire number, including the access digit.

Are you able to call out on each route from an extension? You can test the VoIP route by unplugging the SPA3102, then dial an outside number to be sure that you are still able to dial out. Be sure that both routes require the same outgoing digits (2241020479). Some VoIP providers require a prefix as if you were dialling a "National" number. Check with them if you are unsure. Any prefix required, for the one route can be added in the Prepend "space" for that route.

You do realize that call forwarding through 3CX does not involve any call forwarding option that you are paying for from your PSTN provider.

leejor said:
In your outbound rules, you probably need to specify the digit length (11?) for the entire number, including the access digit.

Are you able to call out on each route from an extension? You can test the VoIP route by unplugging the SPA3102, then dial an outside number to be sure that you are still able to dial out. Be sure that both routes require the same outgoing digits (2241020479). Some VoIP providers require a prefix as if you were dialling a "National" number. Check with them if you are unsure. Any prefix required, for the one route can be added in the Prepend "space" for that route.

You do realize that call forwarding through 3CX does not involve any call forwarding option that you are paying for from your PSTN provider.

ok, I finally made it, but it worked just once.. This is how I did it:

I set a new outbound rule for the rerouting to the voip number by setting as a prefix the whole number (to be diverted). Thus, I set the route (voip number to be used) and number of digits to strip zero (0). So the call was finally diverted :!: However, during this call the pstn line remained busy! Is this how it should be?? The reason I'm asking you is because, if I set an unconditional call forwarding with my pstn provider (forward at the 1st ring) then the call is being diverted e.g to the voip number and is answered there, but the pstn line that received the initial call remains free, so that you can perform outgoing calls at the same time!! Isn't this the way it should also be with the spa forwarding?? Since the call is forwarded to the voip number, shouldn't the pstn line remain available for at least outgoing calls?? :shock:

Thank you in advance,

Vassilis

new4 said:
So the call was finally diverted :!: However, during this call the pstn line remained busy! Is this how it should be?? The reason I'm asking you is because, if I set an unconditional call forwarding with my pstn provider (forward at the 1st ring) then the call is being diverted e.g to the voip number and is answered there, but the pstn line that received the initial call remains free, so that you can perform outgoing calls at the same time!! Isn't this the way it should also be with the spa forwarding??

In a word, no
You are talking about two types of call forwarding.

One is supplied by your provider. In that case you only need to activate and deactivate it on the PSTN line, it will have nothing to do with any forwarding features within 3CX.

Call forwarding ( lets call it "call dial-in and dial-out"), within 3CX is for customers that don't have this feature with their provider, or, they wish to "manage" the forwarding themselves, perhaps sending the number off to different outside numbers depending on a selection made by the caller in the automated attendant

In this case, both lines will remain busy for the duration of the call as it is passing through 3CX the entire time.

If you want to use the call forwarding optiont hat you are paying your provider for...then you simply have to pass the activate (or deactivate) sequence out on the PSTN line.

leejor said:
In a word, no
You are talking about two types of call forwarding.

One is supplied by your provider. In that case you only need to activate and deactivate it on the PSTN line, it will have nothing to do with any forwarding features within 3CX.

Call forwarding ( lets call it "call dial-in and dial-out"), within 3CX is for customers that don't have this feature with their provider, or, they wish to "manage" the forwarding themselves, perhaps sending the number off to different outside numbers depending on a selection made by the caller in the automated attendant

In this case, both lines will remain busy for the duration of the call as it is passing through 3CX the entire time.

If you want to use the call forwarding optiont hat you are paying your provider for...then you simply have to pass the activate (or deactivate) sequence out on the PSTN line.

So, I guess it's a lost case for what I want to do.. (accept incoming calls through SPA-my pstn line- and then have them forwarded to a voip number registered with 3cx. All I wanted is to have the pstn line free for making outgoing calls after the initial call has been forwarded) :oops: But now, I realize that it's not gonna happen.. Nevertheless, THANK YOU for your clarifications!

new4 said:
So, I guess it's a lost case for what I want to do.. (accept incoming calls through SPA-my pstn line- and then have them forwarded to a voip number registered with 3cx. All I wanted is to have the pstn line free for making outgoing calls after the initial call has been forwarded)

But that is exactly what the call forwarding option (from your PSTN provider) will do for you. Your PSTN line is left free for outgoing calls and anyone calling your PSTN number will reach whatever number (your VoIp trunk into 3CX?) that you have the line forwarded to.

leejor said:
new4 said:
So, I guess it's a lost case for what I want to do.. (accept incoming calls through SPA-my pstn line- and then have them forwarded to a voip number registered with 3cx. All I wanted is to have the pstn line free for making outgoing calls after the initial call has been forwarded)

But that is exactly what the call forwarding option (from your PSTN provider) will do for you. Your PSTN line is left free for outgoing calls and anyone calling your PSTN number will reach whatever number (your VoIp trunk into 3CX?) that you have the line forwarded to.

Exactly, but this solution comes with a problem:
The incoming call is forwarded to the voip trunk into 3cx, but this is only for the first call!! Second caller hears a busy signal. This is the reason I thought I could forward (via 3cx) the call to the voip trunk using an alternate line so that my pstn remains free for outgoing calls. As for incoming, they would all be forwarded to that voip number.. But like you explained, it's not feasible. If you can come up with a solution for this, please let me know!

Thanks and Regards,

Vassilis

new4 said:
The incoming call is forwarded to the voip trunk into 3cx, but this is only for the first call!! Second caller hears a busy signal.

This is the limitation with your current call forwarding option.

Normally CF will only handle one active call at a time. That will usually suffice for most(residential) users as they are forwarding to a number only capable of handling one call at at time.
Many PSTN companies will give you the option to increase the simultaneous forwarded calls, for an additional charge. So...if your VoIP line, the one you are forwarding to, can handle three incoming calls, then you can pay extra, to allow three calls to be forwarded , at a time, before callers get a busy signal.

Don't forget that if the VoIP line can only handle a certain number of calls.

There is no point in forwarding 3 calls at a time if the VoIP line can only take one or two.

leejor said:
Many PSTN companies will give you the option to increase the simultaneous forwarded calls, for an additional charge. So...if your VoIP line, the one you are forwarding to, can handle three incoming calls, then you can pay extra, to allow three calls to be forwarded , at a time, before callers get a busy signal.
Don't forget that if the VoIP line can only handle a certain number of calls.
There is no point in forwarding 3 calls at a time if the VoIP line can only take one or two.

I contacted my PSTN provider and was informed that they don't supply any additional CF options. What they do supply is:

1) CF Immediate (Unconditional)
2) CF on busy
3) CF unanswered (after 3-4 rings)
4) Call waiting.

Now, I don't know if I can mix them up but I've tried with some combinations e.g (CF immediate & call waiting) but it didn't work :oops: Concerning the voip number, it has been tested and can receive at least 3 simultaneous incoming calls..

Multiple call forwarding (CF immediate) is usually only available to business customers, but your PSTN may not even have that available, from the sounds of it. You could always look into porting the PSTN number to the VoIP provider as a second number on the same line (service).

new4 said:
I contacted my PSTN provider and was informed that they don't supply any additional CF options. What they do supply is:

1) CF Immediate (Unconditional)
2) CF on busy This option usually only goes to PSTN provided voicemail
3) CF unanswered (after 3-4 rings) this usually goes to voicemail too
4) Call waiting. You probably wont be able to use, as a flash won't pass from 3CX to the gateway then out on the line.

leejor said:
Multiple call forwarding (CF immediate) is usually only available to business customers, but your PSTN may not even have that available, from the sounds of it. You could always look into porting the PSTN number to the VoIP provider as a second number on the same line (service).

If you mean by this that I can have the same number with the voip provider as with the PSTN provider(as long as I prove that it belongs to me) it's not possible. I was told yesterday by the voip provider that a number can only exist as pstn or only as voip.. Now, there's a solution that was proposed to me by the pstn provider (to get a voip number from them on the same line with the pstn) but it's costly (monthly fee) and I'm not interested.. I guess the only way to achieve what I want is to get it back like I had it: Different number for multiple incoming calls (voip number) and different number for outgoing calls (pstn). Thus no spa is needed and pstn line is always free for outgoing calls :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.