Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Call Handling Based on Time of Day

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by TSlocum, Jan 31, 2017.

Call Handling Based on Time of Day 5 5 22votes
5/5, 22 votes

1. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

The in and out of office hours isn't sufficient to schedule complex routing. There should be multiple options to schedule things. For example, it would be great to be able to schedule inbound rules like so:

00:00-05:00 IVR
    05:00-07:00 Ring Group
    07:00-17:00 Queue
    17:00-23:59 Same Ring Group

business54 and DSXDATA like this.
  2. katy1

DSXDATA likes this.
  3. earthwing

No doubt doing it using extensions does work but when you got 7 locations all running under a single hosted PBX that has many extensions setup for call routing, that sure creates a mess of sorts for someone coming behind trying to to sort out the logic and make changes. Really looking for 3CX to clean up a workaround process and allow us the flexibility at the root of the issue. This is also in line with a requested post I did yesterday

4. eli

eli

Voted Yes

5. Patrick Hogan10

Thumbs up for this one. Great idea!

6. solutionsit

take a look at asterisk. They have a module so in the case of 3cx it could be a section like ring groups.
    so the time entry could be a destination from say a ring group and have multiple outputs based on time.

7. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

We have developed similar 3CX routing solutions based on time of day using the VAD. If you would like, we could look at building a routing solution for you. The only limitation as of this posting is the VAD has not been released for V15 yet. This absolutely can be done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Thomas Six

Hi voiptoys

Can you show me how I can make a simple VAD script that routes calls based on time of the day? For example if hour>6 go to 200 and when hour=<6 goto 201?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

9. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

Thomas Six, I got your PM.

I haven't used VAD, but if you have a simple routing schedule such as 00:00-06:00 goes to 200, and 06:00-23:59 goes to 201, you can do that by setting office hours routing. For example, if using an inbound rule rather than global office hours, you could create an inbound rule with the DID, set destination 201 as during office hours, and 200 as outside office hours. You would then enable "Set up specific office hours for this trunk" and set 06:00-23:59 as the office hours.

Let me know if the hours are more complicated like I originally asked, and I will explain how I accomplished that routing.

I'm very interested in VAD, though, now that it's available, at least as a beta. I haven't had a chance to take a look.

10. Thomas Six

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

We have 4 time periods each day. And the routing has to be different for each time period.

11. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

I'm sure the VAD would be much simpler, but I have no experience with it. This is what I did to accomplish three time periods.
    1. Create a dummy extension
    2. Create an inbound rule that routes to the dummy extension both during and outside office hours
    3. Edit the dummy extension and go to the Forwarding Rules tab, and find the Exceptions section
    4. Click Add Rule
    5. Set Caller ID to *
    6. Set Received During to "Specific Hours"
    7. Set Office Hours for the time period for each day, ex. 00:00-06:00 M-F
    8. Set Forward To to the extension it should route to
    9. Click OK and then repeat steps 4-8 for each time period
    10. Click OK at the top to save all the changes
    See also https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/multiple-sets-of-office-hours.47369/#post-192332

12. Thomas Six

Hello

I have found the solution. When you want to check if it is saterday or Sunday, this is the Condition: new Date().getDay() == 6 || new Date().getDay() ==0 . Sunday is 0 and saterday 6. When you want to check if it is 12 o'clock : new Date().getHours() == 12.

For other time values: https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_date_methods.asp

Regards,

Thomas

13. TSlocum

TSlocum New Member

Nice find. This is in the VAD thing? I'll have to bookmark this for when I check that out.

14. VictorSP

Same solution here, but I think this could be great if it's possible on Inbound Rules directly. Also calendars must be available per Inbound Rule.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. xantip

I want to add something more. Already created the solution with the dummy extension. This works fine to hanlde incoming trunk calls during specific hours.
    But my customer has flexible end hours.
    Now they put 3CX manually in out of office mode (you can create a dial code for this, let say *64).
    *640 is automatic programmed operation
    *641 is permanently in office hours
    *642 is permanently in out of office hours
    I created 2 custom speed dials to allow the customer to switch to *640 and one to swith to *642. They never use *641.

But there are some drawbacks:
    - no visual indication of the status of the PBX on a BLF
    - mode is permanently in or ouf of office (*641 or *642).

I want a third option, where you put the PBX in out of office, but it should switch to the programmed office hours at the next programmed tim switch.
    In this specific case, it's a doctors cabinet and office hours are set from 8:00 until 23:59.
    When the last doctor leaves, ie. at 20:30, he pushes the BLF that sends *642 and the PBX goes in out of office, resulting in another IVR message on the main trunk.
    In the morning, they have to push the BLF that sends *640, before the office opens. As already mentioned, the call handling on the trunk is done with a dummy extension, so it's not important if they send *640 at 7:00 or 7:40 or even at 7:59. As long as it's before 8:00, it's ok.

There should be an option 3CX switches automatically back to office hours at 8:00, let's say *643.
    This is especially important since there is no status on the BLF key, so no visual indication the PBX is in out of office.
    I also tried to program a BLF to an extension which status follows the out of office hours. But extension status like Away and DND is not reflected on the BLF's of a physical phone either, only on the softphone. Tested this with Fanvil C600 and Yealink T46.
    There is another thread about adjusting the colour of a BLF key to red when an extension is in DND or Away, https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/ability-to-see-an-extensions-dnd-status-with-blfs.43023/
    Maybe a good idea to also vote also for that one.

Best,

Jos

16. narkumas

narkumas New Member

17. Silly English Kniggit

Yes - including for queues ring groups, and trunks. Currently we have to use virtual extns all over the place, which isn't a great option and breaks some things like call reporting.