Call Hunting Configuration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jcarlisle, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcarlisle

So we recently dropped vonage and are now running Time Warner Cable business with 2 lines and TWC has enabled call hunting. I have yet to get a straight answer out of TWC support as to how their call hunting works. I understand they can't provide tech support for 3cx configuration but they can't seem to tell me the basics of how their call hunting configuration works. I'm about ready to bring in some regular phones so I don't get the standard reply of supporting 3rd parting PBX configurations. Until then I was hoping to gain some insight from the 3cx community.

Has anyone had any experience with TWC (or similar) when it comes to call hunting and 3cx. I picked up a second Linksys SPA3102 thinking I needed another gateway for the second line but according to their tech support it all "magically" happens at the phone router and it isn't neccesary to plug in a second line. I tried plugging the second gateway into the second line but when I call the line (with one in use so it should force to the second) it just rings and rings and 3cx does not log any activity. Is it necessary to have a second gateway or is there indeed "magic" happening in the router lol (there words not mine).

Thoughts\guidance?

Thanks.

Josh

2. voipbaennjer

If there are two lines on your modem you have to use two 1 port gateways or a gateway with 2 ports.
    Although there could be a magic switching between the two lines (calling one line rings both or something like that) if you are using only one gateway(port) you are limited to one concurrent call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are using their supplied router with a couple of phone jacks in the back (FXS ports) then you should be able to plug a phone in each one and (hopefully) get dialtone on each phone. You are paying now for two lines? Did they give you a new number or are both using the same phone number/pilot number (what shows up on a caller ID box when you call out on each one?)

Hunting only works when you have more than one line, so if you don't get dialtone on the second jack, call your provider, don't bother going any further until there is, unless they've already told you that the second port is only for incoming calls.

If the first line is busy, you should get your calls on the second line, it's that simple. If both are busy the calls will go to 120 (fast busy) or to voicemail if you have chosen that option.

An SPA3102 on each line will work just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.