• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call parking feature enhancement request

Status
Not open for further replies.

sls

Reaction score
I've been testing 3CX 8.0 and the new 9.0 version. I notice the 3CX call parking/pickup featue is still a big deal and complicate for alot of end users. Even I'm a tech guy and I'm still feeling the call parking process is hard to use. Here is my experience with 3CX call parking/pickup.

1. You have to blind transfer the call to "*0x". This is a problem because not all the phones or soft phones have the blind transfer button. If the phone doesn't have a blind transfer hard/soft key, how can I park the call? I ran into this problem when I setup an extension with an analog dummy phone and ATA adapter. The dummy analog phone has only 10 digit keys, *, # and hold button. I couldn't figure out how to park the call with this setup. I put away with those two crappy equipments and put an advance equipment - Cisco 7971 phone. With the default key map on the Cisco 7971, it only offers transfer softkey when the phone is off hook. I can't transfer the call to the parking orbit with the transfer key because no blind transfer softkey is available. I know I can modify some xml file in the Cisco provisioning directory to remap the keys and get the blind transfer key to show up when the phone is on offhook mode, but it just adds too much extra works for testing/eval users.

To resolve this issue, I think 3CX needs to add a new feature call "Offhook dailing code". That means the user can dial some codes to engage some basic features such as transfer, blind transfer, park or hold while they are talking on the phone. For example, if we can use "**" to represent the "Transfer" feature, the user can do "**1#" to transfer the call to parking slot 1 or "**101#" to transfer the call to extension 101.

2. Mutiple key touch to park/pickup the call is too much for end users. It also tough to program into the softkey for alot of phones. So far I haven't found a way to program one button park on any phone.

I hope 3CX can just make the parking simpler in the future. One method I thought about is to be able to just hit "***" on the keypad, the PBX just parks the call on the first available parking orbit and make an annoncement to my phone such as "orbit 1" or "orbit 5" before the call hangs up. I then can pickup the call again by hitting "**1" or "**5".

3. Multiple calls can be parked in the same orbit is bad, very bad. I've spent a few months on this and still not able to fingure out how to present this feature as an advantage to the customer. Every customer who tried the software complains it almost immidiately. The most complain user is the recepionist. If she parks 10 calls in the same orbit *00, nobody can pickup the correct caller because dailing "*10" is going to pickup the first parked call. It maybe a way to pickup the later parked call from the same orbit. However, the receptionist is going to loss track the position of the callers if the callers were placed in the same orbit. For example, if the reception parked 5 calls in orbit 0. The first caller is John, the second is Mike, the third is Rose, the fourth is Jay, the fifth is Kim. She makes annoncement, "Eric, John is on park 0, Bob, Mike is in park 0...." If Bob gets to the phone first and dial *10, he is going to pick John. He realizes he picks up the wrong caller and he parks the caller back to orbit 0 again. Bob then calls the receptionist and ask "where did you park Mike?" She will have no answer because the order of the calls in the parking orbit has changed. She will not be able to figure out which one is Mike because the 3CX assistant only shows the caller phone numbers not names.

What I am hoping is the parking should never overlap. Each caller should be in its own slot. Call parking system allocate the slot automatically. When the call parks in different slot, the receptionist can just write it down on a paper if the called party doesn't pick it up for 5 minutes or more and forget where the calling party was parked.

3. When I started to learn how to park the call in version 8.0, I don't know how many times I did it wrong before I remember the correct key comination. In the beginning, I used "transfer *00 transfer", as soon as I hear " call forbidin by administrator", the calling party was dropped. This wrong key entry doesn't give me a chance to correct it instead of drop the caller is very bad.

I think 3CX needs to make the parking orbit to be callable. In this case, if I need to park a call, I put the caller on hold first, than I call the parking and get an avaiable slot, and than transfer the caller in the orbit. Ideally, if I can simply press a key and let the PBX figure out how to park the call is the best method.

Anyway, this deadly call parking problem just prevents me to sell it to my customer. 3CX should consider rework on this feature in the future beacuse it'm the most important feature.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

well go to the provisioning tab of your phone and select orbit 1 and place the config on ur phone.
with on press on the button u place it there, all other phones show now that there is a call (Like BLF) and u can take it from there. no *code anymore. more simple i can not get, do you agree?

3CX is probably the only system I know of that doesn't have off-hook dial codes and it is a real pain sometimes. Some common off-hook codes offered by other systems:

Transfer - usually hit # to get prompted
Start/Stop Recording
Mute

So yes, it could be easier. I am personally VERY used to hitting # and an extension to transfer a call. 3CX assistant is not sitting on a computer next to every phone and having very simple off-hook transfer button makes it simple to use and compatible with every phone.

+1 on adding Transfer, Recording Start/Stop and Mute

These features are unlikely to make it into 3CX. If we were to do this, all media streams would have to go via 3CX, where as now the phones talk directly to each other. The way we do it is much more efficient and sound quality is better.

If you don't know how to use the transfer button on a phone, then i don't see how using a voice menu system is easier. It would be better to buy a decent SIP phone in that case for which the transferring button works as you want it. As you know there are numerous phones on the market....

@sls

The receptionist should be using the 3CX Assistant to handle inbound calls not dial codes. Its much more efficient. You can all the features you want with a few mouse clicks and without having to remember any dial codes. He/she can even use drag and drop to transfer calls to the right person right away....

I completely agree but there are several situations where that doesn't work:

* Not everyone wants to use a piece of software
* Not every place there is a phone there is a computer
* When you are using ATA's or FXS extensions there is no transfer button
* When on a call transfered to your cell phone you need to be able to transfer the call to another extension

There is already a feature for 3CX to deliver audio so if this was settable per extension then this would allow the feature set with the admin understanding that this may reduce call quality.

I think it's OK to work around the call transfer button or no off-hook dial code issue. The most bothering problem is the multiple parking orbit problem. When the receptionist parked multiple calls in the same orbit, it's almost no way for her to remember who should pick up which calling party. If the calls always park in different orbit, she can probably rememer Mike has a call in park 0, Joe has a call in park 1 and Mary has a call in park 3. If all calls were parked in park 0, she has no way to remember 415-376-0192 in park 0 is for Mike, 209-295-3691 in park 0 is for Joe and 707-485-7514 also in park 0 is for Mary.

The receptionist can only see a bunch of callers in the same parking orbit, but she has no easy way to keep track of who should pick up which party.

The soulution 1 is I tell the recpetionist to write it down the caller's phone number on a paper and tag the internal user's name with it everytime she parks a call. As far I can tell this is the silly but it's the best solution so far. :lol:

The solution 2 is I tell the receptionist to always park the call in different orbit if she sees a call is already in the orbit. Anybody in the office needs make a globle paging to annonce that a parking obit is being used, DON'T park there. Anybody else or location that doesn't have the 3CX assistance software needs to call the receptionist first to confirm which obit is free before they park the call to it to prevent parking conflict. This is even more complicate but at least work around it. The only question is, will the customer accept it or not. :shock:

There is one problem I can't find a solution for it.
The reception parked a call in orbit 0 as the third parked call. How can the user who doesn't have 3CX assistance right next to the phone able to pick up the parked call without incorrectly pick up the wrong caller? If the receptionist tells the users that he has a call in park 0, the caller will have no way to know there are other two calls in front of his calling party in the same parking orbit. He will always dial *10 and picks up the wrong party. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I have had a very long chat to a guy at 3CX and after an hour we worked out that the dial codes did not work in call. I agree that if you could transfer a call by hitting the # key, then we could get a lot more sales. I program is great but my customers want to walk around with their phones. Also there are 4 computers and 10 phones. I would love to sell them this software.

Method1: Shared Parking place concept - V9 - this is now possible
There are 10 Shared parking places in the system - Receptionist can keep SP0-SP5 for her own use

The other members can get a SP assigned to them.
Call comes in, recep ansers and presses blf key configured for SP5.
Joe knows that SP5 is his place. Joe Presses Blinking BLF key and steals the call.
Receptionist sees that joe did not pick up call, so she cannot park another call in that SP5. Therefore she chooses another free SP.

---

Method 2 - Call parking *00-9 Unpark *10-9 - Can be used manually or in conjunction with BLF and speed dials also (V8)

This is another method over and above Method 1.
You can reserve *00 till *05 for the receptionist.

You can also Pickup a particular call by dialling *1[Specific Park Code] followed by Extension that parked it.

----

Method 3 - The Assistant Software - You can park calls and also increment the parking orbit number with an option in the advanced section

----

These 3 combined together Have to give all the flexibility needed in a real production company.

I have had a very long chat to a guy at 3CX and after an hour we worked out that the dial codes did not work in call. I agree that if you could transfer a call by hitting the # key, then we could get a lot more sales. I program is great but my customers want to walk around with their phones. Also there are 4 computers and 10 phones. I would love to sell them this software.

What does not work exactly?
you cannot be in call and start pressing the codes - otherwise they will be interpreted as DTMF. You have to press Blind Transfer followed by the parking codes.

If you want mobility Method 1 and 3 is not possible.

So to gain the benefit of moving around, you have to use method 2. You decide between the company who will take the parking orbit places - example *00 will be rec, *01 will be sales guy, *02 wil be support and you will set these policies.

Users will unpark these calls from their orbit. First come first serve.

Since they are moving around, they still cannot be notified that there is a call waiting in the orbit because portable handsets are not going to have blf/keys on them - So the receptionist has to manually call them to inform them that user X has a call waiting.

I do not follow that thinking. If every phone system I have ever worked on has the ability to hit # to initiate a transfer, why can't 3CX? Is every other phone system manufacturer wrong here? I don't think so. Users do not want to have to park a call and then tell someone a call is parked, they want to TRANSFER a call. That is a completely different thought process. Users and resellers do not want a work-around, they want features that they are used to having on other systems.

Blind transfer is also a big problem. Call parking and call pickup is one of the most common wrong operation for a lot of people. "Blind transfer + code" doesn't give you an option to correct it if you dial the wrong dial code. We need "Trsfer + code + Trsfer" to be able to able to figure out the wrong code or not before the call is transferred. If the "Blind transfer" is the only option, the system needs to know the user is dialing the correct extension or dial code. If not, the system needs to play "invalid extension" and keep your call on your hand instead of play "forbidden by administration" and drop the call. We may need to user to "Blind" transfer a call to somewhere, but we don't want the PBX to too "Blind" transfer the call. The PBX should alway on top of the call flow and error correction for the user if possible. :idea:

+1

KerryG said:
If every phone system I have ever worked on has the ability to hit # to initiate a transfer, why can't 3CX?

That means that every phone system you have ever worked passed all audio traffic through server.
On other hand, users of 3CX desperately want to have as much "direct audio" calls (NOT handled by media server) as possible. What do you prefer -- have "transfer by hitting #" ability, or direct audio?

You should understand that in-call dial codes and direct audio calls are mutually exclusive things.

Regarding parking, we use PolyCom phones here and have created a parking web application that users can use to park and unpark calls without having to remember dial codes. It even handles multiple calls parked in the same orbit. Without this web app, we would still be struggling with parking orbits. Even so, my receptionists have resorted to just using attended transfers instead of parking calls.

As much as I am happy with our solution, I hate having to maintain my own application for something that could be rolled into the core 3CX distribution with a combination of a very small amount of web code and provisioning templates. With the number of phones that 3CX supports, I have no hope for this but I can dream! :)

Leon

Can I see this?

Nicky,

Here you go.

Please note the following:
-This was based on code that was in a thread on Feature Requests that another member generously provided
-The parking function was added by me.
-This version is missing the Away/Available display on the idle screen that the original user had implemented. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to figure out what we broke.
-We are using some form of macro built into the provisioning template to allow dial codes like !Parklist which points the phone to a specific URL
-This code works well in our 20 extension production environment but is not ready for wide distribution.

Please let me know if you need more information.

-------------------
The relevant addition to the provisioning file goes just before </phone1>

<microbrowser>
<main mb.main.home="http://%%pbx_ip%%/3cxweb/Home.aspx?ext=%%extension_number%%"/>
<idleDisplay mb.idleDisplay.home="http://%%pbx_ip%%/3cxweb/Idle.aspx?ext=%%extension_number%%" mb.idleDisplay.refresh="60"/>
</microbrowser>
<efk>
<version efk.version="2"/>
<efklist
efk.efklist.1.mname="extlist"
efk.efklist.1.label="Directory"
efk.efklist.1.status="1"
efk.efklist.1.action.string="http://%%pbx_ip%%/3cxweb/Home.aspx?ext=%%extension_number%%"
/>
<efklist
efk.efklist.2.mname="parklist"
efk.efklist.2.label="Parking"
efk.efklist.2.status="1"
efk.efklist.2.action.string="http://%%pbx_ip%%/3cxweb/Park.aspx?ext=%%extension_number%%"
/>

</efk>

------------------------------------
My phonebook:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--$RCSfile: 000000000000-directory~.xml,v $ $Revision: 1.3 $ -->
<directory>
<item_list>
<item>
<ln />
<fn>Directory</fn>
<ct>!extlist</ct>
<sd>1</sd>
<rt>3</rt>
<dc />
<ad>0</ad>
<ar>0</ar>
<bw>1</bw>
<bb>0</bb>
</item>
<item>
<ln />
<fn>Park</fn>
<ct>!parklist</ct>
<sd>2</sd>
<rt>3</rt>
<dc />
<ad>0</ad>
<ar>0</ar>
<bw>1</bw>
<bb>0</bb>
</item>
<item>
<ln>Nunaley</ln>
<fn>Deborah</fn>
<ct>110</ct>
<sd>3</sd>
<rt>3</rt>
<dc />
<ad>0</ad>
<ar>0</ar>
<bw>1</bw>
<bb>0</bb>
</item>
</item_list>
</directory>

--------------------------
Leon

Hmm, looks like the file didn't upload. I just deleted the 3cxpscomcpp2.dll, and sl.dll from the bin directory of the solution so that I could upload it.

Leon

Attachments

• DMC Polycom 2010-06-28.zip
    117.2 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louderapps
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.