• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Parking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWBeaversII

Reaction score
At least I think that's my issue.

I have the latest version of 3cx (commercial). I am using Aastra 6753i phones. I have 5 physical PSTN lines coming into my server through a Sangoma A200 Gateway. I can make outgoing calls and am receiving incoming calls for all physical phone lines.

Here are my questions. I think they may be the result of my misunderstanding of a SIP system as compared to a traditional PBX (Which is what I am replacing).

1. When I make an outgoing call, the system seems to pick the first avaiable PSTN line irregardless of which 'Line' button I press on the phone.

2. When someone is on Line 1 on another phone, the light for Line 1 does not light up on other phones (like it would on a traditional system)

3. If I answer a call on a phone on Line 1, and then place that call on hold, I cannot go to another phone and pick the call up on Line 1.

4. Is there a way to know which line the incoming call is coming in on? They all go to the first available 'Line'. I have three different divisions to my business with separately published phone number, but all coming into this system. I would like to be able to answer calls on physical 'Line 1' as one division, Line 2 as the other, Line 3 as the other. But I don't know which line a phone call is coming in on at any given moment.

I believe, like I said, this is somewhat normal, and that I need to setup blf to show status of lines, call parking to answer calls on other extensions, and ring groups to fix #4.

If I am thinking right, please let me know and if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. If I've got it all wrong, please let me know. If you know where I can get more info on this, lmk. I've read the manuals for 3cx and my phones, and a lot of this blog, but still can't find the answers.

Thanks in advance

[Issue #1] You may group your extensions into groups (corresponding to departments) and allow outgoing calls on specific line only by concrete extension group(s) in outbound rules. This will solve outgoing issues. It is not possible to achieve load balancing, etc. (if you have for example 2 lines for one department).

[Issue #2] I'm not sure this is possible on Aastra phones. You can observe with sure the line status on 3CX softphone. May be possible with Yealink (T26/T28) -- need to check.

[Issue #3] May be you can park the call and the pick the call from other extension using codes. This post will give you an idea: http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/dial-codes/
It is not exactly the same as hold-retrieve feature on traditional key system.

[Issue #4] Incoming issues may be solved with ring groups. If you name them appropriately, you will on display for which department the call is intended to.

Thank you for the quick response. I do believe call parking will handle the one issue. I am having trouble figuring out how to do it on aastra phone....I use transfer key and then dial *00, but get busy tone. Sp0 works off speed dial though, however, I can only park one call.

It also looks like aastra supports shared line appearance (I think they call it bridged line appearance). Does anyone know if 3rd supports this? It seems it was implemented in v9 but I can't seem to find documentation.

Will keep posted. Any other thoughts or guidance is appreciated.

James

it would be best to use a blf for each park and have SP0 through SP9 or how ever may you need. You can have it work kinda like a key system but not really.

the 3cx is a PBX and not a key system so the lines on your phone do not represent the lines in the system.

Yes James,

the feature is called Bridged Line Appearance (BLA). Yealink phones (higher models) support it, I don't know whether is applicable with 3CX, no idea about Aastra. I could test it next week (upon return from vacation). The 3CX softphone (version 6) supports it (program as BLF the line number, e.g. 10000, 10001, etc.).

The issue with Aastra could be the dialplan of the phone itself - check it.

Regards,
Orlin.

Thanks for all the help. It is working fairly well with parking/blf setup. I tried bla, but could not get it to work. The aastra's support it, but I didn't know how to set it up in 3cx. Website alludes to it, but I don't see any documentation on how to do it. I'm not sure it's worth it at this point, but if anyone has info I'm willing to give it a go.

I think I'm working through the other issues....just a learning curve!

Thanks again everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.