• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

skycomp_serge

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been struggling with this one for awhile now and so has my team. We've deployed a few 3CX systems to clients and over all are very happy with it.

The one area that we can't seem to make function well is call parking. The Obit system is just plain confusing and prone to errors. It's caused a lot of difficulty for us trying to explain and make the system easy to use for clients.

We've dealt with a few different phone systems and all of them seem to have a much better way of handling call parking. One of the most elegant ways I've seen it work is this:

Transfer a call to extension 9000. You are read back a number (9001 to say 9009) telling you you've parked the call and what slot it's on.

Then the user that want's to pickup the call simply dials the appropriate extension.

The phone system knows what park slot is free and will not double park a call.

Then there is a ring back after a configured number of min which will send the call back to the parking extension if nobody has picked it up.

As it stands now trying to manage Orbits is a major pain for a busy environment. We've tried to make buttons on phones for certain slots but this has lead to the LED not lighting up fast enough and multiple clients getting parked to the same slot and being linked to each other.

We've read the documents over and over again and just cannot come up with a reasonable workflow that's easy for people to use and is reliable.

We'd absolutely love a solution to this problem ideally some form of what we described above but anything that achieves the same reliability.

Is there any chance this is on the horizon? Unless I'm really missing something I can't see how the current Orbit system is efficient, functional and reliable. It just seems like a very poor design which people try in many ways to work around to have something somewhat usable.

As I've said we've been very impressed with 3CX. Our team was very nervous about a Windows PBX but we are very pleasantly surprised and excited to grow the business. Right now though we question pitching 3CX in any scenario which would use call parking and would love to change that.

Thanks,
Serge.

Shared Parking works fairly well for our clients. We use Yealink phones. Certain non-3cx approved phones don't work well with it. As for delay in having the BLF light up and two people ending up in the same slot I have seen that reported in the forum for busy phone systems. The suggestion is that if you have move than one receptionist parking the calls to have one receptionist start with Parking 0 and work up and the other receptionist start with the higher number and work down.

Serge - everything you describe we have working quite well with Yealinks and the 3CX Standard Edition. We don't have trouble with double parking, but we are not a high volume call area either.
What phones are you using?

We have clients with AAstra phones that were pre-existing but also clients with all Yealink and we only sell Yealink now.

So how does a user pickup a parked call?

How can we ensure 2 people don't get parked to the same slot?

Serge,

skycomp_serge said:
We have clients with AAstra phones that were pre-existing but also clients with all Yealink and we only sell Yealink now.

So how does a user pickup a parked call?

How can we ensure 2 people don't get parked to the same slot?

Serge,

We have all Yealink T46G phones. Parking a call is as simple as pushing the PARK1 programmed button, and then to pickup that call from any phone, simply push that button again from the "other" phone. If you want me to post the programming from the provisioning file, I can do that.

Not sure about preventing 2 callers from getting parked in the same slot, I was kinda under the impression that 3CX doesn't allow that. We've never had that issue that I have heard of, and I'm quite sure I would have heard about it had it happened.

So, I'm going to piggy back on this post... We have call parking here and it's working fine. However, after about 30 seconds of being on hold, it rings back to the user. I can't figure out how to avoid this. Is this unavoidable?

sathed said:
So, I'm going to piggy back on this post... We have call parking here and it's working fine. However, after about 30 seconds of being on hold, it rings back to the user. I can't figure out how to avoid this. Is this unavoidable?

You configure the behavior on how long calls stay on park and where they go after the timeout under 3cx management console, settings, advanced, call parking.

It can be configured to stay on park forever, return to the original person who parked it or one of several other destination options (specific extension, specific voicemail, queue/ring group, digital receptionist, outside number).

lifeline said:
You configure the behavior on how long calls stay on park and where they go after the timeout under 3cx management console, settings, advanced, call parking.

It can be configured to stay on park forever, return to the original person who parked it or one of several other destination options (specific extension, specific voicemail, queue/ring group, digital receptionist, outside number).

Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!

Yealink devices used to have a problem allowing 2 calls to goto the same parking spot, but as far as I am concerned, that bug has been squashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.