• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Quality is Poor on 3CX Softphone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

contoured

Gold Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
I am having an issue in which the call quality on my 3CX softphone is poor. I have two desk phones on the same network (1 HTek and 1 Yealink) and they both sound great. It's the Windows softphone which sound bad. The two hard phones are both using a session border controller, my firewall is giving the highest priority to TCP and UDP ports 5090 and my PC is an Intel i7 with 16GB of memory. Can anyone suggest where the problem might be? Is the softphone just inherently worse?

What headphones/headset/microphone are you using on your computer? Quality issues on the softphone in my experience are usually down to a poorly configured microphone.

The softphone also uses port 5090/tunnel so the firewall should not be an issue.

Does this site have VLAN's or priority routing? If split data/voice remember that the 3CX client would be on data (as it runs on the desktop) where phone would be voice.

D Bedford,

I tried an MPOW headset I got from Amazon at first. Then I moved to a Logitech set that I know has good sound quality. Same issues.

Eddv123,

In our office network, there are no VLANs (only 3 of us here).

D Bedford,

I tried an MPOW headset I got from Amazon at first. Then I moved to a Logitech set that I know has good sound quality. Same issues.

Eddv123,

In our office network, there are no VLANs (only 3 of us here).
Sorry @contoured I missed your reply.

Just to try to narrow down where the issue might be - when you use 3CX and make a call to a mobile, where is the quality bad - is it what you are hearing on 3CX, what you are hearing on mobile, or are both sides bad quality?

Is it simply distorted voices that you are hearing (a possible issue with codecs) or is it missing words/call cutting in and out (potentially bandwidth)?

The issue seems to be call quality, not so much cutting in and out. Both sides of the call are garbled and bit crackling. I have tried using all of the various codecs available for the Windows Client.

Last edited:
Re-reading your initial post, you've given priority to 5090. Is it worth checking 9000-9500 too? https://www.3cx.com/ports-used-3cx-phone-system-v14-v15/ I'm not experienced enough with the ways you can configure 3CX, so it may not be relevant, but 9000-9500 is what the actual call is carried over on our system.

@contoured

The PC where the softphone is running on… is this a notebook/laptop?

I am having similar issues.

Traffic passes up a VPN and Yealink handsets perform fine while the softphones are appalling. Sometimes voice is crackling, other times, there is one-way speech. There have also been instances where the softphone is unable to register and does not display BLF etc.

I am having similar issues.

Traffic passes up a VPN and Yealink handsets perform fine while the softphones are appalling. Sometimes voice is crackling, other times, there is one-way speech. There have also been instances where the softphone is unable to register and does not display BLF etc.
Do you have the same issues if traffic does not pass through the VPN? Have you tried registering a client either locally or using the tunnel?

How can I make the client go via the tunnel?

Install a client on a mobile device Android or iOS and send a welcome email or use the QR code to provision it. Then disconnect from WiFi and switch on your 3g/4g so the client is forced to connect through the tunnel. Make sure that under the extension settings / Phone Provisioning / 3CX client the client is set to use the tunnel.

Apologies. The client in use is the Windows Client as a softphone.

We're having a similar issue; softphones on Windows 10 all sound bad.
We're using headsets from Logitech which sound perfect when using other applications (such as Skype, etc); also tried with integrated audio, but it doesn't make any difference.
The sound is great though from iOS phones, within the same network as the PCs, as well as from a deskphone we have.
We do not have VLANs, the 3CX server is a Debian VM on a remote site, access is through public IP (no tunnels). Again, the issue is only with Windows client, iOS devices or deskphone are fine.

Is there anything in 3CX client we can change to make it sound better?

We are also experiencing the same. Quality is fine, playback volume is too low with the default settings. Same problem across, 2 Plantronics, 3 Logitech and 1 Sennheiser headsets. All working perfectly with all other webmeeting software.
  1. 3cx call volume too low (other side can hear me fine)
  2. The call recordings sound a lot better than the live call.
    1. I had to have my headset device volume set to 90% to get the same effective volume at 30% on windows media player playing back the recording.
    2. at 90% windows device volume any other sound playback is at near-lethal levels.
  3. switching on loudness equalization on the playback device does help with the volume a bit.
    1. Still only about half the volume of the recording, but it's usable at least.
Its a pain to have to manage loudness equalization, as Windows keeps switching it off with updates. It would be really great if 3CX has a playback gain like it has a microphone gain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.