• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call queue prevent * to break out of the queue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millsey

Premier Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

We keep getting Lost call emails and we have identified it is because callers are pressign the star key thus going to the backup destianteion, this raises a lost call email. Is there a way to switch off teh ability for a caller to press the star button?

Thanks
Millsey

What you have to ask is "why are callers doing this". Could it be out of frustration, that it is taking so long to reach an agent?
The alternative, might be. that they just hang up, so you will have a lost call in any event.

No, I think people are just button bashing, they often do this after a few seconds in the queue.

Leejor

So is there a way to disable the star key in a queue?

Millsey

Not that I'm aware of, but then I don't make use of Queues and haven't "played around" with the settings as such. If there is, then someone else will respond, I'm sure.

I still wonder why people would be pressing buttons, other than out of frustration. This is the first time, that I can think of, that this issue has come up. What sort of wait times are your callers experiencing, in other words, how long into a hold time do people start pushing buttons?

If I'm in a queue, unless I have heard a message letting me know that there is an "escape", I would have no reason to press any keys just for amusement. What is leading people to believe that by pressing a key, they will magically jump to the front of the line?

I have no idea, why they are doing it, but there is evidence of it happening after a very small time, e.g. 10 to 15 seconds.

millsey said:
I have no idea, why they are doing it, but there is evidence of it happening after a very small time, e.g. 10 to 15 seconds.

This may be a indication that something else is going on.

Is there any pattern to this... time of day, calls from certain numbers, coming in on certain trunk groups, some automated device perhaps calling your number, etc..

There is no way to prevent a caller from pushing a button, but there is always the ability for 3CX to be programmed in such a way as to ignore non-relevant responses.......if the programmers have included such a feature.

However, the manual indicates:
5. In the section ‘Destination if no answer’, you can define what should happen if the call does not
get answered by an agent. If no agent is logged into the queue, this option gets triggered
immediately. In addition, this option gets triggered if the caller presses the ‘*’ button on his phone.
This gives callers an option to exit out of the queue and leave a message.

I have no doubt that callers "experiment" and push keys just to see what response they get. So, from my perspective, you have three options:

1. Modify your announcement to let callers know about the "*" action.
2. Submit a feature request such that the "*" is an optional feature.
3. Examine the logs and try and determine the % of calls that fit this scenario and if you adjust your thinking to discount the dropped calls, live with it and move on. It may be a %'age that in the scheme of things is annoying at best.

Modifying the announcement is the quicker possible solution, but may also be the riskier if you do not have the call back function already implemented. Now, 100% of the callers will know and a larger %'age may elect to use. If you have the call back feature enabled, it may not be so much of an issue.

A feature request takes time and there is no guarantee that it will be implemented or that if implemented, it will be in a timeframe that suits your desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.