Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Call Queues - Abandoned call reported even if picked up in 2nd Queue

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by kieferschild, Nov 8, 2017.

Call Queues - Abandoned call reported even if picked up in 2nd Queue 5 5 24votes
5/5, 24 votes

1. kieferschild

kieferschild New Member

Hi,

At the moment we have a scenario where if a call is passed from Q1 to Q2 (because Q1 agents are busy), the call is marked as abandoned even though an agent in Q2 picked up the call.

Could you please design a report (for checking abandoned calls) to have these types of calls excluded from the results as at the moment it's not possible to get a true statistic when calls are in fact being answered.

Really, the report should take in to account that Caller A's call was serviced despite going through queues.

Thanks

2. the60

the60 New Member

I was just about to post the same thing! Add: If notifications for lost calls are enabled, the call is considered "hung up"/"lost" even if picked up in the overflow queue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Eric Thiffeault likes this.
  3. Silly English Kniggit

Wouldn't the already requested addition of agent priority in the queue (your current Q1 = first priority, then Q2 = 2nd priority) be a better solution?

The call is counted as abandoned because it left the queue - but having two queues is already a work around, so making this change would be a workaround to a workaround instead of addressing the root problem of needing to be able to prioritise agents with an additional level to what's already there.

This is already in consideration - if you agree this would help, please upvote https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...idually-in-call-queue-in-conisderation.44453/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SSJ

SSJ

While I agree https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...idually-in-call-queue-in-conisderation.44453/ is priority (and should be implemented asap), this thread does bring up a good point:
    Abandoned calls are and should only be when a caller hangs up (i.e. they get tired of waiting listening to holding music, so they abandon their call).
    Or... If the queue's 'Destination if no answer' is set to 'End Call'.

Callers don't know they're being moved between queues - they're just listening to holding music.
    Every one of these moves between queues is currently considered as an abandoned call - even when the call is answered in the other makeshift overflow queue.

This hyperinflates the 'Abandoned' and 'Total' stats (and floods the 'Call History' view), because it counts every one of these queue "cycles".
    (The only way I've been able to get the most accurate 'Abandoned' stat, is to add up each agent's individual 'Abandoned Calls' stats in a queue's 'Agent Status' list in the Switchboard view.)

I think queue switching/cycling could still have a use even if agent priorities are introduced, but shouldn't be considered as abandoned calls.

telis and accentlogic like this.
  5. DL_

DL_

Yes because prioritisation as it stands on the request does not allow for a certain time to overflow. Using separate queues does allow you to overflow after certain conditions are met. If the prioritisation allows rules to decide to hit the next 'priority level' then it would work.

6. Ben FSUK

I've been requesting this type of thing for months, to no avail. Not being able to correctly report on abandoned calls is a huge failing of the 3CX system, and one of the main reasons i'm looking for a replacement.

7. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

We also don't want callers that leave a voicemail to count as "Abandoned", but as a separate metric called "Voicemail"

8. PaulD

Also, not sure that calls outside service hours should count as abandoned ...

Eric Thiffeault and accentlogic like this.
  9. Joakim Ribb

+1 we need to have calls shifted from 1st line to 2nd line seen as escalated or something else abandoned

10. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

The impacts of using overflow queues is bigger than stated. True, it messes with the abandoned rate, but there are additional side effects that are undesirable. Last I checked, when you are transferred to an overflow queue, you hear the message "transferring your call" which gives the impression to the person on hold that "finally" their call is going to be answered, only to discover they have just been sent to another queue. Also, when you want to determine how long has someone had to wait in the queue, you now have to sum two values, the wait time in the first queue, and the wait time in the second queue. Finally, it messes with their position in the queue... they were first in the queue, and now they are pushed to (potentially) 3 person in the second queue. None of these things make for happy customers.

The cause / solution:

We send people to an overflow queue (in most cases) so we can add more agents servicing callers. I assume that in the second "overflow" queue you have all the same agents that were in the first queue, plus additional agents to expand the number of agents servicing the queue right?

How about we identify "overflow agents" for each queue. Then, when the SLA has been exceeded, we dynamically add more agents to the queue. As they handle the excess callers, and the numbers drop below the SLA, you could then dynamically remove people from the queue. This is possible today using the web/3CXPhone clients (albeit a manual process). This approach solves all the concerns about abandoned call counts, misleading "transferring your call", summarizing hold times, and changes in position in the queue. Sweet, right? This is a project that I'm dying to do. Who is with me?

futures likes this.
  11. telis

telis New Member

There needs to be serviced, abandoned and overflowed totals for a queue. An abandoned call should be when a caller has hung up!

aceltic and netlinc like this.
  12. netlinc

There needs to be serviced, abandoned and overflowed totals for a queue. An abandoned call should be when a caller has hung up!

* Has any found a solution for this issue as yet or does anyone know of a 3rd party solution? My client is willing to walk away, because of this issue (yes, it is an issue).
    Having the 3CX Wallboard and the reports show 23 abandoned calls when really the client (call center) only have 5 is misleading and have cause my client to question the systems. Abandoned call is when a caller hanging up before supervision (BSA) simple.

13. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Hi netlinc, we have the solution (described above as overflow agents). It will fix the problem with both the Wallboard and the Reports, we just need the funding to make it happen.

14. netlinc

Hi VoIPToys, The solution described is okay. The issue is the extension/agents that is in the Overflow Queue is Managers and other administrative personnel. They would like to have the calls stay in the call center queue and give each agent two chance to answer the call prior to route to OverFlow Queue. The customer refuse to adapt to that approach, because "Our previous system did not have this issue".

I guess the question is: Why would we count calls routing from one queue to another as abandoned? Isn't standard that abandoned calls is when the caller hangup? Also, how do we figure our true abandoned call rate?

aceltic likes this.
  15. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

From the perspective of 3CX, ANY call not answered by a queue agent is considered an abandoned call. For example, if a manager saw that the queue was getting backed up and used the 3CX client to transfer the call to someone other than one of the queue agents, that too would be regarded as an abandoned call because it wasn't answered by a queue agent.

This makes complete sense from a programmer's perspective. I need to write some code to keep track of calls that come into my queue. If the queue call wasn't answered by an agent in my queue, then it must be abandoned. I have no visibility into where the call went, I just know it wasn't answered in my queue.

16. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

Regarding figuring out your true abandon rate, or the true hold time for that matter, it can only be done through custom reports. It would be a challenge to follow the same call from one queue to the next using just 3CX reports.

Happily, the CDR files show the complete call chain, so from there you could figure out whether the call was truly abandoned. But even so, it's still a lot of work.

The solution I proposed of "overflow agents" would solve all the challenges you face with no need for custom reports.

17. Eric Thiffeault

I agree that call transferred from a call queue to another to invoke more agents should appear a abandoned. That's an issue for us to because each day I have to explain why we see 5% of abandoned calls on a lot of 1200 to 1500 calls, when it's around 1.5% to 2% when we substract the calls that has been answered in the second queue invoking more agents. Would be nice to have a checkbox on the queue configuration with label "Do not count calls abandoned if a transfer is successful" Therefore, it won't count has abandoned if transferred manually on the switchboard or transferred automatically based on a waiting time to a second queue if a voicemail. However, it should count as abandoned if the caller doesn't leave a message on the voicemail.

aceltic likes this.