Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Call recordings

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by csapsey, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csapsey

Hi All,

so by now most of you have had issues with the hell that is .wav files (please god tell me they are going to put these into .mp3 or something at some point)

needless to say my disk is nearly full.

i know i can change the path of the recordings folder however.

if i change the path and have new recordings going to the new location, can i then copy the existing recordings to the same location under each directory for each extension

Thanks

p.s. please 3cx allow us to record as mp3

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

Seems legit.

Aside, somebody commented on a different thread about some third-party tool to help manage these. In the end, you can convert all you want. Hopefully, though 3CX will consider MP3 support natively, indeed.

3. csapsey

i know i can convert the recordings but i still need them accessible in the reports part of the system

after i have set the new recording location for the files and copy the old recordings to it will they appear as available on the report system.

my concern is that the database will remember that the call was originally recorded in C:\program data\3cx....... etc

if i move them to the new location will they work

4. Deepest

Hi I am sitting with the exact same issue with a call center. C drive is full of recordings i have added a second drive and changed the
    record location the problem is now none of the old links to the recordings on c drive are working. I have tried moving the old recordings to the new drive with the same issue. If the files were in mp3 format this would not be an issue even on large call centers. It seems as if the call reported disregards the file location in the play link once the recording path has been changed.

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi!

The call recordings being saved in MP3 format is something a lot of people have been asking for, but there is concern about what how this would affect the CPU load. On smaller systems with not a lot of calls it shouldn't be an issue, but on larger systems with 300+ calls being recorded simultaneously it might put a substantial amount of load on the server and thus the server specs would have to be increased.

The options though at the moment to have scalable storage capacity are the following as far as I can think:

- Scalable SAN Storage solution: All around it offers everything, scalable size, data backup, generally you can configure it any way needed. The down-side though is that it can be a bit expensive to deploy.

- Buy additional internal disks (HDDs): I cannot understand why, once a disk is full you must remove it and replace it with another one. The recording paths in the 3CX DB are stored statically and not dynamically based on the Recording Path set in the Management Console. This means that when a disk is full (e.g. D Drive), you add another disk (e.g. E Drive) and change the recording path to E. Because the paths are stored statically, the older recording paths will be D:\.... while newer ones will be E:\.... and both will be accessible. Then you go about adding additional disks when needed and leave the old ones in place.

Important Note! Some will think that you could accomplish the same with NAS Storage solution with multiple disk bays and configure them with a JBOD architecture. This will not work (well might but is sure to cause issues at some point) because the recording path must be on a Block-Level storage device (SAN, internal HDD, RAID, etc) and not a File-Level storage device (NAS, Network Folder, etc).

6. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

converting to gsm codec format, instead of mp3, will be CPU effective and disk-space effective
    used widely in asterisk systems

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

This is a great solution that will convert wav to mp3:

http://voiptoys.com/3cx-recording-manager-by-voiptoys

Also has a web gui that lets you manage and search recordings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    voiptoys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.