Call Reporting utility

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Nick Galea, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We have replaced the call reporting in the web interface with a separate utility based on Microsoft Access. You can download it here:

http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXCallReporter.msi

The source of this app is included so that you can adjust reports and create your own in access if you want.

Please note that in the latest v6 release you must import the call logs to the database first using the call log importer utility. More information here

3cx.com/support/call-history-updater.html - this link is no longer available

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Nick Galea, May 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Mike,

Yes, its possible to run it from another machine. You have to configure postgres to allow remote access. We are going to create an FAQ to do it.

Access was chosen because a lot of ppl know how to make reports in it. We have provided the full source so its easy to adapt and create reports from it using this utility as a starting point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Arnaud

First of all, thanks for this new version of 3CX. It's great to see each time new features and functions being added. I like the new call reporting utility.
    To keep my server as clean as possible, I didn't install access on it, but am accessing it from a remote PC.

It turned out the configuration to allow remote access to the postgres database had been setup already. Just changing the CallLogsReporter.ini file on the PC running the utility is all what is needed.
    The "via" field in the standard pre-configure report is a very nice piece of information to have straight out of the box. I was missing this in the v5 call logs function. For easier reading, I would prefer to have the "gateway/provider name", rather than the virtual extension, but that's maybe just personal preference.

4. shahul

Is this utility only for V6 or also compatible with V5.1?

5. Arnaud

I've not tested it, but looking at the database structure, I see no reason why it shouldn't (except for maybe the need to change the userid to query the database).
    Try first running the utility on the same PC as 3CX itself. When successful, you can run it on a remote PC as well.
    Have a look at this page (found via the wiki), explaining what's required to run the tool on a remote PC:
    3cx.com/support/3cx-call-reporter.html - this link is no longer available

#5 Arnaud, May 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

No its not compatible with V5.1 - it relies on the the new logs of v6

7. thomasz

Just say there, thank to post. :p

8. bhavank

bhavank New Member

Remote accessing the call reporting utility.

Go to the Call Reporting folder in program files there you will find one configuration file, open it in notepad and in it you will gind machin/ip address = localhost change it to ip address of 3CX system. Next to localhost you will find some port number 5480 or some other don't remember now, open (firewall) that port number for incoming connection on 3CX server and then run the call reporting utility and its done you will get the call reporting utility working on remote machine...........

Enjoy.....

9. darrellchapman

bhavank, This won't work unless you configure postgres to allow for remote connections. I've been doing this a long time now because I've integrated external programs to interface with the data stored in the DB. But everytime I upgrade 3CX, postgres settings get overwritten and I lose remote access to the DB. I hope 3CX fixes this in future updates.

Anyway, to configure postgres to allow for remote connections:

1) Open the \3CX PhoneSystem\Data\DB\postgresql.conf in your favorite text editor (Notepad) It would be wise to make a backup of this file prior to opening and editing it.

2) Locate the line that reads listen_addresses = 'local' and change it to listen_addresses = '*'

Please be aware that by doing this you are telling postgres to listen on all available IP addresses. If you have a publicly accessible address on your 3CX server be forewarned that postgres is listening on that address as well however as you will see below it's really not all that big of a deal becuase you must still tell postgres which addresses are allowed to authenticate against the user DB.

3) Save your changes to this file

4) Locate and open the \3CX PhoneSystem\Data\DB\pg_hba.conf file in your favorite text editor. This file controls which hosts have access to the postgres database. Make a backup of this file too

5) Locate the line just below # IPv4 local connections:. It should look like this:
    host all all 127.0.0.1/32 password

6) Simply add a line directly after the one above defining your local CIDR network address. Mine looks like:
    host all all 192.168.180.0/23 password

If the computers on your LAN are issued IP addresses dynamically, you should enter the network address to ensure that your computer will always have access to the database. If you want to limit it just to a specific IP address use /32 as the CIDR mask along with the IP address.

7) Once completed that section looks like:
    # IPv4 local connections:
    host all all 127.0.0.1/32 password
    host all all 192.168.180.0/23 password

8) Save you changes

9) Stop the 3CX PhoneSystem service (Windows Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Services)

10) Stop the 3CX PhoneSystem Database Server service (same location as above)

11) Start the 3CX PhoneSystem Database Server service

12) Start the 3CX PhoneSystem service

10. darrellchapman

The source is great but for those who don't have Access installed: couldn't you make this DB a stand-alone app with the MS Access 2007 Run-time engine?

11. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

Great post, thanks! 8)

12. darrellchapman

Oops! My post cleaned up the white space that was it the config lines. If you make these changes to your postgres DB, just make sure that the columns are aligned with the one's above. Use spaces, not tab characters to get the columns aligned.

13. Babysittah

Yes? you all. I gots to say thanx, there are some really useful reports in here. ;)

14. coelhopsi

I just changed the Call Reporting INI file and it worked remotely, without the need to configure postgres to allow remote connections...

15. darrellchapman

And your 3CX server is on a different machine?

16. francesco

francesco New Member

where is source of call reporting utility?

17. SIPfun

The "source" is simply an MS Access "database" that links to the postgres backend...

I'm days away from an alternative that does NOT require MS Access... Testing on live systems now... Works like a charm thus far. I'll let all know when it's done.

I showed my kids ( I use 3CX @ home), and my oldest's response was "you're stalking us!"... Teens... Never like it when you can flip through their activity...

18. francesco

francesco New Member

ok, attend your news
    but is possible to send query with the db access?

19. SIPfun

Yes... If you download the call reporter (on this site), it's basically an Access container, with links to the postgres tables... If you press and hold SHIFT while it's loading, it won't put up the front end - but instead it will show you the linked tables, and some queries.

20. francesco

francesco New Member

ok. tank's!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.