• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Routing by DID

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBarker

Reaction score
Despite a lot of yelling, screaming, and repeating myself, a larger number of our staff continue to call internal people on their external DID. ie rather than dial 2544 they dial 90182544 (I assume it's just a habit some people can't change) which means the call goes out our SIP Trunk and then back in again and we are charged for the call.

Is there a way to have 3CX directly route the call where the number dialed matches the DID of an internal extension?

For outbound rules the 3CX looks for calls:
- with prefix nn
- comes from extension(s) number
- comes from extension group(s)
- dialed number length = nnn

Perhaps you can present the users with a billing report and an invoice for them to pay the company back, or a pro-forma salary deduction. Old habits are only hard to break when it doesn't affect the person's personal cash flow..

As alluded earlier, if there is a way, it will be in the outbound rules, but there isn't enough info presented for us to get a good idea. Ideally, if there is a portion of the dial string that makes your internal call unique, then you could use the "prefix" rule. As an example -

You appear to be using 4 digit extensions ("2544") and the user base is prepending "9018" to reach the desired number. Not being familiar with the format, it is not known if the leading "9" is a part of the actual number or a lead-in number to get to an outside trunk. In any event, if the "90182" portion of what they are dialing is truly unique (not a portion that would be used anywhere else), then you could use the outbound rule to strip "4" thereby leaving only the 2544 for the system to dial.

The issue is whether the 9018 is used to reach other outside numbers. If so, then you may need to find the largest violators by looking at the reports and devising other rules by extension that force them into a retraining mode. Find which extensions they dial the most and create a rule for their extension that starts with the entire number they dial the most and block it (them). They will soon get the picture.

Most of my customers hate pushing buttons and the more they have to push, the more the dislike. I tend to think that your folks would follow the same suit, but perhaps what they have done is to program speed dials which include the entire string or are using the company directory or something similar that is causing this to occur.

This sort of issue came up a while back, and I'll be damned if I can find the post. I believe that Sy came up with the answer.
It involved creating an outbound rule for each of the numbers that people are dialling. These are then sent to a "loop" trunk which comes back to 3CX. All but the actual extension digits are stripped in the outbound rule, and the call comes in as a direct SIP call. If I come across the post I will attach the link.

Found it...see the first reply from Sy. http://www.3cx.com/forums/internal-users-dialing-dids-instead-of-extension-20002.html#p102900

Of course, you could always have each outside call, to a local extension fail, in the outbound rules,, thereby forcing people to dial the extension directly.

Be sure to place any of the new outbound rules ahead of the "general" outbound rule that applies to all other call of a similar dialling pattern. Rules are applied from top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.