• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call routing from VOIP provider. Catch all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsukraw

Free User
Reaction score
So have a customer with multiple locations. For this explanation we will keep it simple and just say they have 2 locations.
They are using NexVortex which has a DR function to be able to send the SIP DID to multiple IPs if the main IP is down.
Normally you would program the DIDs in the VOIP Provider and setup Source Identifications by DID to be able to route the DID to a destination.
Since they have multiple locations (9) and multiple DIDs at each location i don't want to program all those DIDs into each system. So i was thinking a catch all (*) in the DID list but 3CX doesn't allow this. Then i thought (1*) as the catch all but when doing this it caught every incoming DID even ones that were fully entered....
I know catch Calls (*) are not necessary recommended as it makes hacking easier but we have a SBC between our provider and the 3CX so we are not really worried about this. So please leave security out of any recommendations.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to accomplish this. Im kind of at a loss of ideas on this one.
I have attached a simple diagram.
We have DID 111-111-1111 going to the Minnesota 3CX and setup as a DID and Source Identification by DID.
We have DID 222-222-2222 going to the Iowa 3CX and setup as a DID and Source Identification by DID.
If the Minnesota system is down NexVortex sends the DID 111-111-1111 over to the Iowa IP Address.

Right now the call would fail.
We need to figure out a way that any DID that is not programmed to come in one a catch all entry.

Thanks

Attachments

• Layout.PNG
    Layout.PNG
    79.8 KB · Views: 491
Why don't you just have each number in on the PBX forward to a Number on the alternative PBX rather then an IP in the event of a DR scenario? That way its basically just an RCF rather then DID on the PBX. No additional programming needed.

That would be the best option but nexvortex does not allow you to forward a DID to another DID on their system. Otherwise it would be possible to create a loop in there system. So we are stuck doing it by IP.

Well thats strange logic as that could still happen, anyway you could get around it by adding yet another PBX, setting DR to this new PBXs IP and adding all the DIDs to the new PBX, map each DID to an extension then set that new extension to forward to DID on one of the alternative PBXs. An annoying solution but at least you would only have to maintain this configuration on one PBX rather than all 9 of them.

Agreed if this were one pbx handling all 9 locations instead of 9 pbx's it would be a lot easier!

Figured it out... Was kind of dumb.
So all my previous DIDs i had been entering as *XXXxxxXXXX
Well our incoming numbers were coming in with a +1 in the front so the * always allowed for the (+)

When i tried the wildcard 1* it didn't work since there was a + sign in front of it so it didn't match.

Modified our SBC to always remove the + so it only sends the digits through fixed the issue.

Now have a 1* wild card at the bottom of the list and it is catching all other numbers our VOIp carrier sends when we are in a down situation at other locations.

Kind of a cool setup to allow for location fail over without having to configure a lot to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.