• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Routing Question-Patton 4114 FXO

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksgt35

Reaction score
I am very familiar with "traditional" ip PBX's (Cisco, HP, Shoretel). So far I must say I'm very impressed with 3CX's capabilities. In many of these other VOIP products, the default is that dialing 9 will grab an outside trunk, regardless of whether it is a PRI channel or POTS line. Then dial plan rules dictate whether you can call local, long distance or international etc.

It appears that within 3CX, dialing a prefix number is not only not necessary, but may not be preferrable. Is this a true statement? Our installation will just have 3 POTS lines for telco access. So do I just need to build outbound rules for each of the desired capabilities? Also, how can I restrict a particular extension from dialing long distance? And lastly, where is the interdigit time out...even after dialing an internal extension there is a particularly long pause before the number is completed. Thanks in advance.

You do not require a prefix digit, depending on how "complicated" your local and long distance number combinations are. A prefix comes in handy if you want to force a call onto another provider. For example, you may normally dial 91xxxxxxxxxx for long distance but want to go over a VoIP provider sometimes, for some numbers, so you could have a rule...81xxxxxxxxxx. Dial-plans can be number, or length of digits, based. A match is attempted from top to bottom of the list.

As far as restricting extensions...you can create a rule with the long distance prefix and then allow only certain, or a range of extensions, in the outbound rules. If you don't specify any extension numbers, then they can all use the rule.

As far as inter-digit time-out, that all depends on the particular device that you are using. Most, but not all have that available. Some VoIP sets require that you hit the #, or "dial" key rather than wait. Some sets, and ATA's have an internal dial-plan, where a match, to the digits you dial, will send the call immediately. These also allow you to block, or even convert certain dial strings right in the set.

To comment on Leejor's response. We setup the prefix when there are large amounts of phones with many sites or if the customer wants to have extensions that start with numbers that would match outbound rules. Here we dial 7 digits for local calls so we can match almost every outbound call to an extensions, so dialing a 9 makes things a little cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.