Call to external number - goes to external voice mail

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Doug, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Doug

I am evaluating 3CX.

If I have calls going to my cell phone and my cell phone voice mail answers, the call can never go back to the 3CX voice mail.

How does everybody deal with this?

It makes external calls never reliable.

Another issue is - does any external calls ever come back to 3CX voice mail under any no answer condition?

My tests seem to see the call continue to ring. Never takes a message.

I have tried this in version 3 and version 5 beta.

Thanks for your help.

2. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

Could you please describe your configuration, any logs?

3. Doug

Calls to external number

I have an Audio Codes MP118 gateway. I have local softphones as extensions. I am evaluating 3CX for business requirements.

One example is I have my extension set to forward calls to an outside phone.

A call comes into the system and is directed to my extension.

The outside phone starts to ring.

It continues to ring forever. The 3CX system never considers a "No Answer" condition to then take a message.

Example 2:

The calls to an extension are forwarded to a cell phone.

A call comes to that extension the cell phone starts to ring but after 5 rings the cell phone system sends the call to the cell phone voice mail. The person that called the extension now hears that cell phone voice mail system.

Under either example the 3CX system needs to take the voice message just as if it was an internal extension "no answer/busy" condition.

Most other PBX systems allow an option on calls routing to external numbers that require a DTMF response if the call is answered before the call is connected. If there is no answer or the DTMF response is not made, the PBX routes the caller to the PBX voice mail system.

Does 3CX do this kind of function? If not how do people use the forward to outside call function?

I have over 50 clients with various PBX systems that require the calling to an outside number. They all work by recognizing the "no answer/busy" call progress, and if the calls is "answered", they optionally require a DTMF to make the connection. Some even offer the requirement to request a DTMF password to make the connection.

They all must have this type of feature or the call to an outside number is useless. You can't allow the call to go to some external voice mail system or just die as a ring no answer and never come back to take a message.

It sounds like the call to outside number is a "blind transfer" , not a supervised transfer in the 3CX system.

I really think your product is great. It has great features like a car navigation system, but if it doesn't have wheels I can't take it out of the driveway.

This is a very basic business requirement for us.

If I just don't know how to set this up in 3CX please tell me how. If it is not a current feature when could it be?

Sadly without it we can't buy your system or try to sell it to our customers. And we really want to.

Thanks