• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call to ring group fails if inactive extension is included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_Rose

Reaction score
We just implemented a 3CX system and are having trouble with one of the ring groups. It includes some extensions that are used with hotdesking phones. If we add any extensions that are not currently active in the system then calls to the ring group will fail. We need it to ring all of the phones including the hotdesking phones. Is there any way around this?

What do you mean by not currently active...not registered, DND active?

I'm wondering if we are seeing the same issue.

I have 2 extensions that go offline and the random failure to ring the group and goes to voicemail instead.

The hotdesk phones have three people that will log in at different times when their shift starts. If we add all three, only the one signed in shows as active or logged in. Because the server sees the other two as inactive or logged out, it causes calls to the ring group to fail.

Figured it out. For each extension in the ring group: Go to Extensions --> Choose the extension --> Forwarding Rules. At the top is a drop-down for "If in this status, forward calls as follows". For each of the statuses (available, busy, DND, business trip) you have to make sure that "Accept calls from ring groups" is checked. This has to be done for every member of the ring group. It seems that if a hotdesking extension is not signed in it goes to a busy or DND status.

Am I understanding this correctly that if ANY extension is in a state that doesn't accept calls then that might cause the ring group to fail and move on to it's non-answered destination?

I found that if you set the extension option under 3cx client phone provisioning to "enable push for smartphones" to on then it always considers the extension as registered and this gets around the issue. We have some extensions that are dummy extensions only used to forward to cell phones and had to do this as they were part of ring groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.