Call Transfer on yealink Phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by netswork, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netswork

netswork Active Member

I am new to yealink phones. On cisco phones when I have a BLF for someone and I am on a call I can just press that BLF and it will one button transfer the call to that phone.

If I try that on the yealink I still have to press the transfer button again, I noticed there is no blind transfer option.

If I press transfer, dial and extension and press transfer again the call is still on my display until the other phone answers the call. There is a resume soft key, if I press that nothing happens.

Is this functionality normal? I cant image telling a customer to just ignore the resume key. Also a receptionist that is taking a lot of calls would be annoyed by the call staying on their display after they have transferred the call. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

When I transfer a call on the Cisco SPA phones via transfer extension transfer the call no longer displays on the phone. If I do a blind transfer or one button BLF transfer the call does not stay on the cisco phone until the other phone answers the call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

What model and firmware? I have a number of them out and do not have to hit transfer (again). Have you updated to ensure latest firmware. If you provide model I will check and let you know.

3. netswork

netswork Active Member

my t38 was running 105...I upgraded it to 115 and will test it again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. netswork

netswork Active Member

After upgrading and additional testing this is what is happening:

on my yealink t38 I am on a call. I press the BLF key for another extension....it puts the first call on hold and dials the second call. It does not transfer the call. If I press the transfer button after I press the BLF I am given a menu with two options 1 New call and 2 the call I was trying to transfer. If I down arrow to 2 and press ok it transfers the call.

On my cisco SPA phones when I am on a call and I press the BLF of a person it instantly blind transfers that call.

On the yealink T.38 if I am on the phone and I press the "TRAN" button or the transfer soft key, I then start dialing the next number there is no "send" button to send out the call. I have to wait for digit time out to call the next extension in order to do an attended transfer.

If I press transfer dial an extension and press transfer again, the two calls are connected but during the ringing (before the 3rd phone answers the transferred call) I still show the call on my T.38 and there is a Resume and Cancel soft key. Pressing Resume just changes the Resume soft key to a hold and vice versa...it doesn't have any effect. If I press cancel it no longer shows the call on my screen.

5. netswork

netswork Active Member

From further reading on a document at 888 voip I found what I was doing wrong. The phone documentation from yealink states to do a attended transfer you press transfer, dial an extension then press "send". But the send softkey is not available, so you have to press the "OK" button in the middle of the phone.

The 888voip document also said that the call will remain on the screen until the blind transfer is complete....which is annoying but at least I have an answer to that.

The biggest issue is I would really like the BLF buttons on the yealink to do a one button blind transfer like the cisco SPA phones. It is much easier for the receptionist to simply press the BLF button to transfer the call. Having to go through the process of pressing the BLF, pressing transfer, choosing line 2 and pressing OK is inefficient.

If they need to do an attended transfer they can transfer it using the transfer softkey rather than the BLF. If the receptionist had multiple incoming calls it would be difficult to get all the calls routed correctly. Perhaps it is simply something in the provisioning template for the yealink but I don't know enough about them to modify it.

6. netswork

netswork Active Member

3cx support said they dont know of a way to get the BLF on yealink to be a one touch call transfer like the cisco SPA

7. lneblett

Sorry for the delay. I simply hit transfer and the blf key and the call goes through. T38, T26 the same. No issue. Latest firmware on both.

8. netswork

netswork Active Member

I just tested what you said and I am having to press transfer + BLF + transfer again.

On the cisco SPA you can just press the BLF and it does an immediate blind transfer.

I am on v10 with the latest service pack.

9. lneblett

What do you have as the command? I have *20*ext numb. So, *20*34567 as an example.

10. netswork

netswork Active Member

Im using 3cx to provision the phone. I dont understand the yealink provisioning file yet but when I log into the web interface of the phone and look at the line under the DSS key section it is set to type "BLF" and extension is *20*1234.

11. lneblett

Interesting, same as mine. I manually provisioned as I also have 2 exp39 on the t38 as I am doing a hotel/resort. I have a t32 and a t28 around andi will set them up locally tomorrow am and let you know.

12. netswork

netswork Active Member

Awesome, thanks for your help

13. lneblett

Billy -

Took a t28 and:

1. Updated firmware as it was one revision behind.
    2. Did a factory reset to eliminate any issue
    3. Created extension 500 on local instance of 3CX and installed 1 BLF (DSS 1) using 3CX pointing back to my extension (100).
    4. Went to phone tab on 3CX and (with PnP feature apparently enabled) assigned the phone, which 3CX found to be "new", to extension 500.
    5. Phone immediately started to update its configuration when I hit apply and OK from the extension tab.
    6. Phone provisioned to proper extension, registered and DSS1 key lights.
    7. Looked at phone through web interface and time zone correct, DSS shows *20*100 as expected, all other appears correct as well.
    8. Made a call to 3CX from outside and from IVR requested extension 500. Call routed correctly and call answered with no issue.
    9. With phone still off-hook, hit transfer softkey on t28 followed by DSS key and hung-up handset (blind tranfer) call tranferred with no issue.
    10. Repeated step 9 by (handset off-hook) hitting transfer softkey followed by DSS, but waiting until extension 100 answered (attended) and then hung-up. Transfer went through fine.

I never have to hit transfer the second time as you currently experience.

If you go into the web interface of the phone, there is a "transfer" command that you can assign. This does exactly what you want as you can do a one touch transfer to a stated extension, but the issue is that it does not give an appearance on the phone as to the tranferring extension's status. I tried it and it works. I have my extension (100) set to handle multiple calls and the call came through fine. It put the first call on hold when I answered the second call (from the tranfer) and when finished with that call, allowed me to resume with the first. It seems to work well if you don't mind manually setting up and can get over the fact that you have lights that won't show a status.

Hope this helps.

14. netswork

netswork Active Member

I never tried hanging up the phone after pressing transfer and then the DSS key. Because the SPA does not require that, I simply press the BLF line without having to first press transfer and the call is transferred and disconnected from my phone (no longer on the display of the phone), and the phone is ready to take the next call.

It seems the call stays on the yealink phone's display until the remote party answers the phone. So for a receptionist taking many calls I see this as a problem.

As a test I initiated a blind transfer as you have described. While the call still displayed on the yealink phone (even after hanging up) i dialed into the ring group. On the yealink phone there was a call waiting beep sound that came over the speaker phone rather than the phone actually ringing. Even though I was not on a call. If I picked up the handset it did not answer the incoming call because line 1 was still being tied up doing the call transfer. I had to press the line 2 button to answer the call.

This just seems like such odd behavior and would confuse the heck out of a receptionist. I am unsure as to why the call remains on the screen until the party the call was transferred to answers the call. There is the "resume" button available on the screen, I would think it meant I could grab the call back because the party was not answering the transferred call, but pressing the button does nothing. The only way to clear the call from the screen is to press the "cancel" button. Which does work.

So I would have to tell the customer after they do a blind transfer to press the "cancel" button to clear their screen. They will ask what the "resume" button is for and I would have to tell them it doesn't do anything? The way the call gets blind transferred would make sense if the resume button grabbed the call back.

I want to be able to offer these phones because of the gigabyte ports, larger screen, digital side car and the electronic hook switch lifter. Those are great features but this call transferring is killing it for me. Thanks for your time working through this with me. I wish there was a way to program the DSS button so that it would transfer the call and "cancle" the screen out so the call did not remain on the screen until the other party answers.

15. netswork

netswork Active Member

In my cisco SPA provisioning the BLF lines are configured as:

fnc=sd+blf+cp

I know speed dial (SD) by itself does not do the one button transfer and no status, just a speed dial button. The BLF option shows the status but no speed dial...Not sure what CP means. Not sure if maybe with the yealink provisioning you could combine the "transfer" and "BLF" option onto one button.

I am going to test the yealink provisioning with just the speed dial option rather than the BLF and see how it acts.

16. lneblett

OK Billy, now I am upset. I have been using these phones for a while now and you have to go and spoil it for me. For the life of me, I do not recall this happening on the resort phone(s) I am setting up, but it seems clear that it must and I simply put the blinders on. In fact, I am so curious, I intend to make the 40 mile drive just to see it as I can't believe that I missed it. :eek:

I can kind of understand the logic, as there could be a reason that a cancel is in order and I think I can move the softkey resume around to make it fit the needs, but your point about multiple calls could be confusing to anyone who was not "raised" on this style of implementation. Fortunately this client was not and so far loves the phones and the system. To me, they are a stylish phone with plenty of features at an attractive price point. I have a harder time selling Cisco and Polycom in far S. Texas as I don't have all the rich oil tycoons like you do in Midland/Odessa.

17. netswork

netswork Active Member

haha sorry. I have noticed if I do a blind transfer on the cisco spa...transfer extension transfer it acts similar to the yealink. But if I use the BLF to do a one button transfer it does not stay on the display of the phone that initiated the transfer. All the receptionist I have worked with use the one button transfer to move calls around use park. It seems like most customers coming from a key system tend to use park...call the person and then tell them the call is parked. Or they park the call and page.

I just quoted a large 90 phone system to a customer and decided not to offer the yealink even though it would have saved about 5k just in handset costs. The SPA just seems like a more refined and better engineered handset.

I installed a system a long long time ago using Trixbox and Aastra phones. The Aastra phones worked really well and are a nice looking phone. I have yet to try them with 3cx though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.