• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Call Waiting with 3CX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett

Reaction score
Does 3CX support Call Waiting? I don't see this anywhere on the forums or on the 3CX features page. Does it work like normal, where a phone just presses the flash button to switch over? Does it work the same with an ATA adapter and a regular analog pstn phone?

Also, an unrelated question:
If I setup my local server with voip service from broadvoice using 3cx, and about 8 phones using ATA adapters throughout the house, how can I make it so the phones don't have to dial a certain prefix to get to the external [broadvoice] line?

Thanks,
Brett

Brett said:
Also, an unrelated question:
If I setup my local server with voip service from broadvoice using 3cx, and about 8 phones using ATA adapters throughout the house, how can I make it so the phones don't have to dial a certain prefix to get to the external [broadvoice] line?
You can use a transform mask in your outbound dialing rules. You need a prefix to identify an outgoing line, but you can use the regular PSTN prefix plus a dialing rule to give the user the same dialing policy they would have on a regular PSTN line. Assuming that you dial either 0 or 1 for a regular number (in continental Europe it's 0), you set your outbound rule to capture any given call, then use the transform mask to add an extra 0 (or 1) to the outbound number. Example: assuming that 0 is used as your outbound identifier (set in General Config), add a transform mask of 0 to the rule. If a user dials 0XXXXXX, the system identifies it as an outbound call, stripping the first 0 but then adding a leading 0 as per the transform mask. More information (and examples) can be found in page 59-61 of the 3CX Manual.

So either way, I'd have to use a transform mask and I would have to dial some sort of prefix to get to the outside line?

I would like to just dial the number as I would with a regular pstn phone service. Is this not possible?

And still have the question about call waiting :).

Thanks,
Brett

About the call waiting: it's a network feature, but I am uncertain if 3CX supports it.

About the prefix: well, yes, you need a prefix to distinguish between extensions and outside calls, as with most PABXs, but the example I provided shows that you can make a combination of prefix and transform mask that would allow for numbers to be dialled exactly the same way they would on a regular PSTN line.

Ahh yes thank you. Now I understand what you were saying in the previous post. I didn't understand the first time reading, but I guess that'll work for me.

Call waiting question is still open :).

Thanks,
Brett

Hi Brett,

In regards to the call waiting, do you mean call queueing or notification of another incoming call? I.e that a call can get queued for a particular extension? If yes call queueing is being developed, but well need another 2-3 months...

In regards to call waiting notification - this is supported by many sip phones - if you get a second call for your extension it will show this to you and you could switch if you want. this is the case for a Grandstream 2000 for example

admin said:
Hi Brett,

In regards to the call waiting, do you mean call queueing or notification of another incoming call? I.e that a call can get queued for a particular extension? If yes call queueing is being developed, but well need another 2-3 months...

In regards to call waiting notification - this is supported by many sip phones - if you get a second call for your extension it will show this to you and you could switch if you want. this is the case for a Grandstream 2000 for example

Yes, the call waiting notification was what i was asking about.

In the Grandstream GS-386 (ATA Adapter) description, it says it supports call waiting, so I assume it'll work fine with it, 3cx, and broadvoice.

Thanks for the help,
Brett

It would appear to be something else then. If its an ATA feature then it would be up to ATA to ensure that it handles call waiting right. We do not have any particular support for it nor have we tested with it.

Call Waiting is a feature that is provided by the telephony network (either PSTN or VoIP), an ATA adapter that is said to support call waiting is simply capable of "flashing". The feature works fine with our 3CX implementation, both on PSTN and VoIP (although we use Linksys ATAs).

I was having this problem since installing v5. You need to go into the extension options on 3cx, go to busy options and set it to use phone status. Call waiting works flawlessly after that. Hope this helps.

I have the same call waiting issue with Linksys SPA941 phones. It did work with v4, but not v5 of 3cx. I have the "Use phone status" option
selected on the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICT BE Peleman
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.