• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Caller ID from phonebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanc

Free User
Reaction score
This has got to be so simple, but it's driving me nuts.

My mobile number is in the 3CX Company Phonebook under 'JonathanMobile'.

When I ring into my company, one of our Cisco SP303s displays: 'JonathanMobile'. The others say: 'Dentron: Jonatha'.

This doesn't matter a lot of the time, but with some phonebook entries which differ only at the end, it does.

Is this a per-phone setting or a 3CX setting - does anyone know, please? I've searched through both till my eyes ache.

Many thanks

I don't have one to check but I thought the Cisco's had a setting on how to display/format incoming Caller id...
The Dentron is coming from the DID or Group Name being prepended.
I would expect all phones to show this however.

Thanks, craigreilly, but I've searched everywhere in the 303 UG, and the nearest I can find to it is 'Blocking Caller ID' and 'Blocking Anonymous Calls'. The damnable thing is that I've been through all the settings for two differently-behaving phones with their web interfaces up in two adjacent browser tabs (yes, Admin/Advanced settings) and apart from things like IP addresses the settings look identical. And yet one phone is showing 'Dentron' and the other isn't.

'Dentron' does appear in the phone settings (Voice > Phone > Line Key x > Short name) but again, the settings are identical on the two phones.

'Dentron' also appears in the 3CX management interface; but in 3CX, I understand that the CID prepend settings are global, as in Settings > General > Global Options - not per extension?

It's not an end-of-the-world issue, but it would be good to get one's head round it!

Thanks again for your help.

are the 2 phones the same HD and FW version?

Good thought - but they are precisely the same: 1.0.1. and 7.5.4.

Just occurred to me: if I reverse the binding of the MAC addresses to the IP addresses so that the system thinks telephone instrument A is telephone instrument B and vice versa, that should decide whether the difference lies in the phone settings or the system settings, surely?

Heavy schedule today, so might have to wait until tomorrow.

Many thanks again for your thoughts.

To me the question is where is the entry for each name? If I understand correctly, you are dialing into the system using a cell phone. Being a cell phone, it is most likely only providing the caller-ID number to the front-end of 3CX. The number is then being parsed by the system to find a match whereupon the caller name is also being added to the info. The question then becomes where is the second name coming from (denton)?

Is it possible that the 2nd phone has a local phonebook and that your name is in same? If you can, you might factory reset both phones and then re-provision them both using 3CX. This would clear all settings to include any phonebook entries that might be stored in the phones themselves.

I assume that how you reach each phone is using the same method. I also assume that there are no rules or exceptions set at either extension that would provide your caller-id number a different handling routine.

Thank you so much, lneblett - you've cracked it!

The phone NOT showing 'Dentron' did indeed have an entry in its personal phonebook "JonathanMobile". I have deleted that entry, and now it's behaving exactly like the other phone.

I have now switched off adding Group Names to caller ID in 3CX, and now even Cornelius Cumberbatch can call me without fear of truncation.

So good thinking - and thank you for saving me from insanity!

darn local phonebook. good one larry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.