Caller ID not showing the name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ralph, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good evening,

Caller ID doesn't appear to be working properly for me. When an inbound call comes in we don't see the caller's name. All we see is the callers phone number.

I contacted the VoIP provider and they state they are sending the name in the traffic. I then did a packet capture using Wireshark during a call and the NAME does appear in the packet in the "from" field.When I look at the 3CX logs however the name doesn't appear in the traffic logs. The 3CX server is set to look for caller ID in the "from" field as well.

The capture and the logs are below:

Packet Capture from Wireshark:

Logs from 3CX for the same call:
    Any idea as to what is going on? Is there a problem with the message structure used by BroadVoice?

Thanks again

2. ahcomputers

I have the same issue

I'm experiencing the same issue and started a thread back in June. Just recently I got a couple of replies but nothing that helps yet. You may want to follow it also.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1676

3. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

This feature had been already requested 3CX to add around in June. Nice to have. The caller ID shows caller's phone number should be normal. To translate the number to the caller name should be via phone set's phone book. Like our mobile phone, the caller name will show if the caller name with caller number had been added to the phone book.

4. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good morning

The VoIP provider is sending the caller name in the packets in the "From" field.

Shouldn't 3CX be able to identify the caller name in the "From" field or at the very least pass on this information to the phone without having to rely on an external address book or hardware for translation? The caller ID feature is more then a "nice to have" feature. It's absence is a potential deal killer for clients looking at 3CX.

Basically what I hear you saying is that Caller ID is not supported in 3CX?

5. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

OK. If this feature done by 3CX. The phone only get the caller alias ("5qg4"). The PSTN number of "5qg4" will be lost. I think most existing IPPBX cannot take care both caller alias and caller ID (PSTN Number) during SIP call.

Therefore, I think most peoples prefer caller ID (PSTN number) than the caller alias.

Ideal case should be 3CX box and SIP phone can handle both caller ID with caller alias.

6. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

5gg4,

I think you are missing the point. CNAM is a feature that the incumbant phone companies have had for years. If this information is correctly being sent as the Wireshark capture in this post suggests; then why can 3cx not grab that info from the incoming SIP packet and send on to the phone by means of the from field?

7. Ralph

Ralph Member

Thanks Tim

Thanks Tim

What he said :D

8. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Hi tjabaut,

Yes. CNAM is a feature that the incumbent phone companies have had for years. Only for VOIP providers.

9. Ralph

Ralph Member

ok this is a real issue

In several conversations with clients who are looking at 3CX, the question has come up about caller ID.

I have told them I would need check into it. This is a basic call feature whose absence is a real problem. These companies (mortgage company, Investment advisor, & a call center) have become accustom to this feature (caller name showing up on incoming calls) and most likely will turn down 3CX if it is not supported.

Our Polycom phones show the phone number twice on incomming calls so I am betting that the phones have the capability to show both the number and the name.

Is there any way to get 3CX to support showing the caller name?

Loosing sales the size of these 3 due to the lack of a basic feature would be silly.

10. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

I would like to see the name as sent also but always presumed the limitation was with my setup using analog adapters for the extensions. If, as it would appear in this discussion, the limitation is actually in 3CX, IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE IF AN "OFFICIAL" 3CX REP WOULD JUMP IN AND CLARIFY! Thanks :lol:

11. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Caller ID - as in the number of the caller - is fully supported by 3CX and displayed on the phone. Of course the gateway or voip provider has to pick it up and forward it correctly, but in most cases this works fine.

I see displaying an Alias along with the caller ID as a separate issue, and most probably dependent on the PSTN line, and the PSTN equipment or VOIP provider used. What equipment were you going to use and do you know if its supports such a feature?

12. ahcomputers

Equipment

My unresolved post from three months ago is here:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1676&highlight=

In it, I list the equipment that I am using.

I also have logs showing where the number and name of the caller is being passed from my pstn lines through my audiocodes gateway. The verbose logging in 3cx even shows the name and the number (the number has been hidden in my post).

I can't see how this most popular feature could be ignored in 3cx. It is a deal breaker for all of my clients I have been talking to about this. In the U.S. just about every home phone that subscribes to caller ID (w/ pstn or voip line) displays the name and number. Why would not an "Enterprise" solution have this?

13. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We are going to look into this and we can assure you that in the new version this will be addressed.

14. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Re: Equipment

Let's clarify: is Caller ID (Number) passed correctly to callee phone?

15. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good morning

Good morning,

First let me clarify that I am talking about incomming calls. The clients who would be using 3CX need to be able to see the caller names of the people calling in to them.

With incomming calls:
    The callers phone number is passed to the phone.
    The callers name is not passed to the phone.

The packets passed to the 3CX server from the VoIP provider contain the callers name in the from field. (See earlier post).

The Polycom Soundpoint IP 501 phones we are using show the following in their display screens during a call:
    We are using the following hardware:
    Phones: Polycom Soundpoint IP 501
    Server: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2
    VoIP Provider: Broadvoice

This is a seriously critical issue for just about every client we would like to use 3CX with. Is there any way to fast track this so that a solution is available much sooner? Maybe a hotfix?

16. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Yes, we will take this issue into account. Actually, I just didn't know that there're PSTN gateways that can use "display name" field for passing useful information. Fix is trivial, Version 4 will work correctly.
    Regarding patch or update - we'll consider such possibility, but take into account that Version 3 development is frozen, and it is not best time to make patches to it.

17. Ralph

Ralph Member

Good morning

Good morning Archie,

How soon are we talking for a fix do you think? I have proposals sceduled for next week :shock: . These guys are going to want an answer from me on this :?

Thanks again

18. Ralph

Ralph Member

Any ideas?

Good evening,

If the fix is trivial; Any chance of getting a quick hot fix for this?

Or is there a way I can modify 3CX or it's settngs so it shows the caller name instead of the number?

Thanks again

19. Ralph

Ralph Member

Anyone?

Had a great presentation yesterday and they will most likely use 3CX but I have to have an answer on this. We can't install if they don't have the caller name. It is an essential part of their package since they answer the phone with a greeting and their customer's name.

Can we get a patch or hot-fix that will allow 3CX to display the caller name?

If that is not possible, is there a change that I can make that will display the caller name?

Thanks again

20. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

We'll discuss the possibility of hotfix tomorrow. I will inform you on results.
    No, you can not fix it yourself, it is in the code of PBX server