Caller ID Passthrough on Forward

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jayson, May 20, 2007.

1. jayson

Is there a way to have the caller ID information passed through when forwarding to an external number.

For example, if extension 100 is forwarded to my cell phone. Incoming caller ID will show up fine on the extension, but it will show my number on the cell phone as opposed to the callers number.

I am trying to move everything from my asterisk box and this is the one last hurdle.

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Interesting. Right now there is no way we can do this, but in the future it seems to make sense to look into this.

Can you let me know what equipment you are using? What SIP phone, VOip provider or VOIP gateway?

3. Jim

Jim

This function is most often referred to as 'Call deflection'. When an incoming call is alerting it can be forwarded to another destination without occupying the B-channel. This keeps the originators caller ID correct. A normal diversion would send your number.

4. danfoster

Did this feature ever go anywhere? it would really help us in moving from our ISDN based PBX to 3CX...

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Everything what is related to this functionality available in free edition.The simplest way is to install free version of PBX and check it.
    If it doesn't cover your needs then please report it here.

Thanks
    P.S.(almost) 2 years is a very long time... some things are changed...

6. danfoster

We actually already have a license, but haven't tested it with ISDN gateways to see if this works.

I know 2 years is a long time, but not in the world of ISDN, a whose featureset is quite well established...apologies for dragging up 2 year old threads, but I don't see (m)any others asking the same question, which suprises me as it's a pretty essential feature to us, i.e. to be able to forward out a call to a mobile, showing the number of the original caller and *not* the office phone number.

7. o.mascia

This is exactly the question I was about to post, so I'm replying here.
    I also miss this capability since we moved away from our ISDN-based PBX to 3CX along with Patton ISDN devices.
    I want to believe that there is some appropriate configuration to tweak to get it to do that, but for now, it looks like it is a no go with 3CX V7 and my two Patton SN4634. It is related to ECT feature at the ISDN side, but I don't know if 3CX pass the needed flags through the SIP connection to the Patton. Honestly I still need to capture and analyse a bit more packets before being able to pinpoint where the problem is.

If anybody has it working, please please please, teach us how! ;-)

Thanks,

8. nickybrg

nickybrg Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi Just to inform you guys that we are working on this and plan to include support for this in Version 8. We acknowledge the problem with the current implementation.

At the moment we are gathering a list of devices that support this feature and planning support for these devices. This is a bit tricky - reason being that if this feature is implemented widely for all devices, including those that do not support session update, the result on these devices may be immediate call termination which is far worse than incorrect caller ID information. They will simply drop the call. This is why this is not a fix that can be made for the next release of 7.1 (this month). This involves an element of pre-planning.

Please bear with us a little while longer.

9. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

First of all, lets clarify an issue:

Forwarding by forwarding rule works correctly for a long time. I mean, if ext. 100 originates a call to ext. 101, and ext. 101 has forwarding rule that kicks in (like 'Forward all to ext. 102) -- the call to ext. 102 will have correct ID of call originator (i.e. ext 100).

Same is true for forwards to outside numbers, BUT: keep in mind, that external line may have 'Override caller ID' settings, which could override caller's ID. It is expected behaviour.

10. o.mascia

Take an ISDN BRI. Connect it to my old ISDN PBX. Get one call incoming (from outside number A to local number P), reach the PBX, find a rule that says this call has to be forward to some external number (B). The PBX transfers the calls. B sees the phone ringing with A presented as the originating caller (not P).

Now unplug the BRI connect it to my patton 4634 and 3CX V7. B gets the call, but from 'P'. No way to see 'A'.

Is this by design with 3CX? Is this by bug? Is it due to any setup detail in the patton 4634? Is it due to any setup detail in 3CX?

Or is it right that this just a missing feature for now that is meant to appear with some V8 version, presumably next year?

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

This is true for attended transfers, but not for blind transfers. In case of blind transfer you should get 'A' as a caller.

In case of attended transfer you should get proper indication ('A') if your destination device supports 'Replaces' header in INVITE request. Otherwise PBX technically has no chance to change originator (in case of attended transfer originator of second call (to 'B') is transferring party ('P')).

We're going to investigate this area deeper. Actually, we need to collect info how many phones / PSTN devices / VoIP providers will adequately accept changing of 'From' / 'To' headers on re-INVITE. If most of them can do it, or, at least will not drop a call -- we will implement such target refresh using re-INVITE for those devices which at least support re-invite. For those who do not adequately react on re-INVITE -- we can not update caller ID on attended transfer at all. Never. Nobody can.

12. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Oh, and one more note: this thread is originally about passing Caller ID on Forward. NOT TRANSFER. It's different things :!:
    Personally, I don't mind discussing transfers here, but peoples might get confused.

13. danfoster

Yep this is exactly what's stopping us using 3CX. As of now, using our BT versatility ISDN PBX, I can divert my DDI to my mobile. If a call comes in for my DDI, our PBX will tell the exchange to re-direct it to my mobile (or any other number of my choosing). It comes in and goes back out on the same B channel, freeing it up immediately (as opposed to hogging two channels for the duration of the call). As the call has been network-diverted, I get the caller ID of the original caller (even better, on my mobile, it also tells me it's a diverted call!)

From what I can read this is possible with asterisk but the implementation of this varies between ISDN devices, and also point-to-point and point-to-multipoint ISDN lines deal with it differently thus complicating it further...

Thanks,
    Daniel

14. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Technically, for us it's not a big problem or sky-rocket technology to divert calls using 302 response, but my gut feeling is that we get more problems than benefits. Anyway, I'm going to dig this theme lil' deeper.

15. benritchie

Hi
    We would find call deflection a really useful feature and are looking to implement a 3cx system, did anything ever happen with this feature, was it implemented in version 8, and if not are there any plans to include it in 9?

thanks
    Ben Ritchie

16. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

Yes, I know, old thread, but the first one that popped up in Google when I was trying to figure out why CallerID was not passing through to my cell phone (after checking "Ring my extension and my mobile at the same time.")

I cleared the CallerID setting in 3CX but it didn't fix it. Finally realized I needed to clear the CallerID setting at the provider (voip.ms) as well. It wasn't clear on their site that this was an "override." With that cleared, I get the original caller's number on the extension and the mobile, and my own number still shows up when I make a regular outbound call. Perfect!

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems