Caller ID possible with ISDN 2e DDI lines?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Banana Jack, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banana Jack

Does anyone know if it is possible to show callers' numbers when they call one of the DDI numbers assigned to our ISDN 2e line? I asked BT to install a block of 10 DDI numbers on our line. Caller ID (CLIP) stopped working and now they tell me it is not possible to get caller ID back again!

In the process of changing the line from being MSN compatible to being DDI compatible, BT changed it from "Standard Access" to "System Access" so I had to change the Patton configuration from PMP to PP.

Caller ID works correctly on the main number associated with the ISDN 2e line, but none of the DDI lines, which are the ones we wanted to publish. I find it hard to believe that we can't have caller ID on DDI lines! Can anyone please confirm one way or the other whether this is possible?! Would upgrading the 3CX version help?

Thanks
    Glenn

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Hi Glen, are you talking about outbound caller ID, or talking about receiving the caller ID of the incoming call ?

For outbound, I struggled recently until I upgraded the firmware on my Patton ISDN AND set the outbound caller ID number to exclude the leading zero. This allowed outbound caller ID, I have a suspicion that the outbound needs to match the size of the numbers sent to you, so for example if only the last 6 are sent to you say, that your outbound will have to be specified as the last 6 numbers. I that helps. I'm not sure if it's inbound, I can't see any reason why you would receive caller ID unless the call originator is withholding their number. I can't see any reason why your ISDN 2es would block it.

Lewis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Banana Jack

Hi Lewis

It's great to receive your reply, as I am at my wits end and everyone in the office is seriously not liking me for "upgrading" their phone system! Actually I was talking about inbound caller ID (or CLIP as BT call it - Caller Line Identity Presentation), i.e. simply being able to see the number of the person calling in. BT say when one of the DDI lines is called, it's not possible to see the caller's number, which leaves me dumbstruck. Can it really be true?

Outbound caller ID is the next problem, which I was going to try to address if I ever fixed inbound caller ID! At the moment, all outbound calls appear to come from our ISDN line's very unmemorable number, rather than the main DDI number (01234 567000) or, what would be even better, the DDI number in the block of 10 corresponding to the extension making the call (567001-9). But I assume the BT equipment has to validate the outbound caller ID so that people can't spoof fake numbers? Did you have to get BT to "switch on" your ability to assert outbound caller ID or did it just start working when you got your digit length right in the 3CX config?

Thanks
    Glenn

4. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Hi Glen,

I would take what BT say with a pinch of salt.

I just built a 3CX today with a Patton 4638, and had a test ISDN 2e BRI to plug in. It has a DDI block of 10, as well as a line number.

If I call in on a DDI, it routes fine and presents the correct Caller ID both inbound and outbound. I am not aware of any limitations at the ISDN side that would prevent you from receiving the correct caller ID unless there was a misconfiguration or BT/Telco had put in a deliberate blocking (I cannot see any reason for such a feature). The only instance it would block the Caller ID is if the caller witheld their number - never known it to be line dependent but I could be wrong.

What I would do, is re-run the PSTN Gateway Wizard, ensure you're running the latest supported firmware on the Patton unit, and reprovision with UK, Point-to-Point, DSS1, overlapping and announcement enabled. With each extension, remove the leading zero from the outbound caller ID you wish to present.

And then try again. I am very doubtful that you cannot have inbound caller ID. I had the reverse problem only a couple of days ago, and the fault was found to be a user-configuration error - I expect the same may be the case for you unless there is any peculiar history with your lines. Did your old PBX handle inbound Caller ID fine ? if so then it's not the line.

Hope that helps and I understand the situation you're in. Your brave to cutover live without some sort of test phase and user acceptance.

Some ideas there, no definitive answer for you i'm afraid, as i'm no ISDN expert.

Lewis

5. Banana Jack

Thanks Lewis, that's very supportive and I'm really encouraged to hear you got two-way caller ID working on an ISDN2e even on its DDI number block! So it must be possible. There's no strangeness in the config of the line that I'm aware of - BT seemed to completely "reset" the line when they changed it from "point to multipoint" to "point to point". Caller ID and CPS (carrier pre-select) to OneTel/Talk Talk was completely removed to my annoyance because they didn't tell me this would happen. This "resetting" may have been done as part of the PMP to PP reconfiguration, or it may have been part of the process of effecting a billing name change on the line which I requested at the same time (company changed its trading entity type). Eventually they re-instated caller ID but it works only on the ISDN 2e number, not the DDI numbers, like I say.

Caller ID used to work fine on the "old system", i.e. the PMP line with MSN (multiple subscriber numbering). There has only ever been one PBX (3CX v6.0.806.0), so the line definitely works, or at least it used to work. The only trouble is I can't be 100% sure whether the problem is of BT's making or a mis-configuration on the Patton/3CX. I found your other thread about upgrading the Patton firmware to get your outbound caller ID working, and it was very interesting. I think I will go down this route one evening or weekend when I am feeling brave/stupid and you never know, maybe inbound caller ID will start working again. I will also follow your suggestion about re-running the gateway wizard. Maybe I'll have extra difficulties with the carrier pre-select and outbound caller ID, but we'll see. Fingers crossed!

Regarding "being brave", in hindsight maybe I should have ordered a new line and had the DDI applied to that and then cancelled the old line, but it seemed to be pretty expensive and would have needed a BT engineer site installation etc. And I never thought that ordering a DDI range would have brought with it such difficulties! Still, you live and learn..... if I can just nail this caller ID thing then everyone will be happy again!

Thanks,
    Glenn

6. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Just a process of fault isolation, what's changed ? the line - who changed it ? BT... you see where I'm going with this. I find with BT and most telco suppliers when you log a fault, you have to go to the ends of the earth and back to prove the issue isn't at your end, for them to flick a switch to make it work again and then say, you must of fixed it!

It'll probably be easier debugging the Patton in telnet then getting a straight authoritative answer from BT on what in fact they have done to the line! Seeing Talk Talk in the mix doesn't inspire me with much confidence either. Be interested to hear what the final solution is when you get it.

I assume you have a commercial licence ? if so you can log a support incident with 3CX - their support in my experience has been spot on. And being in the profession myself, I generally have higher expectations then most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.