• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Caller ID Spoofing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhsay

Reaction score
Does 3CX (FREE) allow the outbound caller ID to be set like asterisk can?

The * is unfamiliar for me but the 3cx's outgoing CID setting gives you wide scope.

tab

You can set the caller ID to be anything you want basically - even your name and Number next to it.

I hate to appear to contradict anyone from 3CX, you Guys are the Gods above :lol:

I must humbly say, however, that I believe that even though you may enter an ID (and I have) it is dependent on the VSP if that ID is transmitted through. VoIPCheap, for example, doesn't send any ID regardless of my entry. I make no claim to deity status so one and all please feel free to correct and educate me.

Mirzab said:
I hate to appear to contradict anyone from 3CX, you Guys are the Gods above :lol:

I must humbly say, however, that I believe that even though you may enter an ID (and I have) it is dependent on the VSP if that ID is transmitted through. VoIPCheap, for example, doesn't send any ID regardless of my entry. I make no claim to deity status so one and all please feel free to correct and educate me.

Thanks for the responses.

Mirzab: Your are correct that it depends on the VOIP provider. Some let you manipulate the caller ID, some don't send anything, and some send the same caller ID regardless of what you set. A lot of per-minute voip plans allow you to set the caller ID, whereas most unlimited plans will always send the same caller ID (or block the call if you try to send your own #). I assume this is to prevent people from running call centers on unlimited plans.

kuhsay Who do you use that you spoof the caller ID?

We're using Junction Networks and we chose what caller ID to send.
We have three DIDs from Junction and NONE of them are the caller ID we send. We have 4 phone numbers in 4 distinct markets. I want the phone number from headquarters to be the one that shows on caller ID and that is exactly what happens.

I've had GREAT luck with Junction!

You can set the caller ID to be anything you want basically - even your name and Number next to it

Of course given that the medium lets you - I was assuming that the VOIP provider does not have the caller ID tied to its external number or main account. Yes there are VOIP Providers that tie the caller id to the Main account, others let you edit the caller id to what you wish. Others show private. There are even others that accept changed from the user and you can set your account to have a specific caller ID of your choice.

However some food for thought (and I like this subject so much).
In Asterisk you can change it to what you want - Irrelevant on which VOIP Provider you use using the command callerIDset (right - correct me if Im wrong).

And the caller ID is found in the header section of the packet right?
Even the Mac address can be spoofed and it is also something that is "burnt in". I really think that this can be spoofed whatever the voip provider does. What do you guys think on this?

My brief adventure with Asterisk has cured me of any desire for a return visit. I did like it but am not interested in the learning curve of Linux. I am no Microsoft Groupie but unfortunately have grown comfortable with Windows.

If you can advise me on how to perform this same function on 3CX I would be very pleased.

Mirza.

kuhsay Who do you use that you spoof the caller ID?

Several voip providers allow it. I was successful with Vitelity, VoipStreet, and RapidVox. I know VoicePulse Connect (different from regular VP service) lets you spoof CID as well, though I haven't used them. This was when I was using trixbox (asterisk).

And the caller ID is found in the header section of the packet right?
Even the Mac address can be spoofed and it is also something that is "burnt in". I really think that this can be spoofed whatever the voip provider does. What do you guys think on this?
I think its a bad idea to circumvent the voip provider because its probably illegal and/or against their TOS. The reason they lock in the caller ID is so you can't buy an unlimited residential plan and run a call center on it, with the caller ID showing your corporate HQ's phone number. The providers that allow you to spoof CID are per-minute plans, because if you use 10,000 minutes a month, you just owe them more money.

I tried setting all of the different options, and (these were the numbers that appeared on my cell phone)
'From' field: UNAVAILABLE
'To' field: UNAVAILABLE
'Request-Line-URI' field: RESTRICTED
'Contact' field: UNAVAILABLE
'RemotePartyID;party=calling' field: RESTRICTED

I discovered I can configure my vitelity control panel to add a sub-account with a different outbound phone number, and then just configure it as an additional voip trunk in 3cx, but this is not as flexible as asterisk.

Also tried this using a VoipStunt line but had no luck, even thoug that on VoipStunt (for example on the configuration of SPA3102) you can set a name that will show up on the party that you're calling, tried with 3cx still no luck? Maybe a bug? Hopefully we'll have some improvements on V4 :D
Keep up the good work

Cheers

miraportuga said:
Also tried this using a VoipStunt line but had no luck, even thoug that on VoipStunt (for example on the configuration of SPA3102) you can set a name that will show up on the party that you're calling, tried with 3cx still no luck? Maybe a bug? Hopefully we'll have some improvements on V4 :D
Keep up the good work

Cheers

I don't think many (if any) voip providers send a CID name because of the way the technology works. It usually only sends your phone number. I could be wrong on this, but this is what i've been lead to believe.

According to the configuration show on Voipstunt page to the SPA3102 you can send the ID you want. I tried to set that up with 3cx with no sucess thoug, maybe im missing something, or maybe its just 3CX.

Cheers

I use NexVortex and they have changed my outbound CID to my PSTN line number. I only use VOIP for outbound so this way no matter which line gets used the callee gets the same CID from me.

Hi kuhsay,

Does 3CX (FREE) allow the outbound caller ID to be set like asterisk can?

All version of 3CX (FREE or Paid) can allow set any outbound caller ID within the SIP world ONLY. For go to VoIP provider, I'm not sure. If you want to set any outbound caller ID (e.164 calling number) for send to PSTN, I sure that it cannot. Since 3CX can only pass the default extension number as e.164 calling number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.