Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Caller ID spoofing

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Razva, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razva

Hey,

I'm currently using Asterisk but I want to give 3CX a try. One of the most important requirements, in my case, is caller ID spoofing. The ISP supports it (currently implemented via Asterisk) so there's no limitation at this point.

Still when setting SIP Trunks -> Edit -> Caller ID -> "Configure Outbound Caller ID" I have no positive result, the system calls from the "real" number.

As an offtopic, do you know any provider that allows using a "name" as the caller ID, not a number?

Cheers,
    Razvan

2. datamerge

datamerge New Member

In the sip trunk settings under outbound parameters. Set from:user part to "OutboundCallerID". By default it is "authid"

imecom and Razva like this.
  3. Razva

Great, worked like a charm! Any hint on how to use a "name" instead of a number?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are two fields, number (numeric), and name (alphanumeric). Most (if not all) providers (and the majority of call display devices) are expecting only numeric characters in the number field. I suspect the the best you will be able to do is to send no digits, and a name, or something like all zeros as the number.

5. Razva

Understood. But how in the world do some callers (usually telemarketers) show you a "name", not a number? Do they have any special contracts with the local carriers or...?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing any like that myself. There is usually a toll free number (valid or not) at the least. Have you tried just leaving the number field empty, or putting in spaces?

7. Razva

Offtopic: do you know a provider that offers cheap calls to EU (especially Romania) and offer DID?

8. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson New Member

hey @datamerge, I have just tried doing doing what you suggested by changing the "From: User Part" field to "OutboundCallerID" but it still shows as the "real" number. Are there any other settings I should look at? I have tried also adding the new DID (the one that I want to use as the one that shows on outbound calls) in Sip Trunk -> trunk -> DIDs, and I also set "Main Trunk Number" under "Routing of calls to Main Number" to the new DID also, but this has not helped. Any ideas?

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

@Peter Richardson

Not all providers accept this and the settings that apply for one provider may not apply for another. The best option is to contact the provider and ask them if they allow this to be done and if they do from which SIP field are they reading the info from. Changing settings in the Outbound parameters without knowing what the provider uses may break outbound calls entirely

10. Peter Richardson

@YiannisH_3CX

Thanks very much for that comprehensive answer. I will check with my provider and report back! Thanks again! :)

11. Peter Richardson

Hey @YiannisH_3CX

I contacted my provider and they have confirmed that they are able to spoof any DID that we own. I explained that we needed to do that while we port the existing number to the new provider. I have given them the number and asked which field that it will need to be in for it to work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.