Callers Here Their Echo

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cporantes, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cporantes

Hello,

Since I installed this 3CX for WIndows phone on Windows 8, my callers (or receivers) have been hearing an echo. I have tried with a hardwired headset and with a bluetooth headset with the same results. They hear themselves in an echo.

This is very annoying to them. They do not hear it any other way except when they call me or I call them. This with people withing my organization and on the same telephone system (Asterisk, SIP, FreePBX) or on an outside line like a cell phone.

What can I do to troubleshoot or solve this issue?

All help is appreciated.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Which end experiences the echo?

Is this only to certain destinations?

To troubleshoot, you have to keep in mind what conditions cause echo...

The person experiencing echo may be sending audio a high level, too high for any echo cancellers to overcome. So, their voice reaches the far end and is then sent back to them, usually as a result of the hybrid within the receivers device. If the calls are happening only to one receiver, then it may be that device that is contributing to the issue. There must also be enough of a delay to be noticeable.

In an ideal digital world, there would be two completely separate audio paths. One from your mic to the far end and one from the far end to your ear, with no crossover, mixing of the audio. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. People want to hear a bit of their own voice in the earpiece, phone calls don't sound quite right if that isn't there. If you are calling an person with an analogue set, then a hybrid at the far end is splitting a two wire circuit into transmit and receive. The circuit is not perfect and allows some of the callers voice to leak back to the caller. Other devices (gateways) can also allow this to happen. It's the slight delay, in that leaked voice, that causes echo. Any device that converts from digital to analogue can introduce echo.

You can try to narrow down which devices, or combinations are having an issue and replace them, or change settings, or you can see if there is something causing more of a delay than is normal/acceptable.

3. ebooyens

I've got the same problem. I use a USB headset and I've tried to ensure that my earphone volume is just high enough that I can make out what they're saying, but my volume doesn't seem to make a difference. I think I'll try a different softphone than 3CX and report back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.