Calling direct to an IP address

Discussion in 'Windows' started by TPYS, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TPYS

Is it possible to use 3CX phone V5 to call direct to the public IP address of a remote SIP enabled router (eg a Draytrk 2600VG)? If so, I would appreciate any assistance with configuration. With the old 3CX V1.1x software this was possible, with the IP address dialed from the phone or entered in the phonebook. Note that I am trying to call the actual IP address, not via a SIP registrar.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would try setting up a profile with the IP (or DynDNS) of your destination (router) as the SIP server. Then, supposedly, any number dialled (using that profile) would go to that IP. Haven't tried it myself, and there may be an easier way to do this, but if all else fails...

Update...tried this that other night on the 3CX Android phone, it doesn't work because there is no check box (like a trunk on 3CX) that says, to not register, So because there is no registration, no calls are permitted. Maybe we need to ask for that option to be added (the check box), or another way to make direct SIP calls from the 3CX phone.

3. TPYS

I agree that this does not work. Currently, the client will not work unless registered. What I am trying to achieve is to send a SIP invitation to a public (static) IP address without registering with a registrar or server. Some call this 'Registrarless SIP' and it was supported in the early V1.1x clients. Sadly, I cannot get these to run on Win 7. Unless anybody has a suggestion as how to make it work on the current V5 client I agree that this is a feature that we should request...

4. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

If your 3CXPhone is registering to a PBX, the first rule for direct SIP calls is that PBX should be configured to allow direct SIP calls. The second thing is that when you type the destination on 3CXPhone, it should contain an @, like 111@localhost.

If you want 3CXPhone to make calls WITHOUT registering to a PBX, there is an undocumented flag which allow you to do this. Exit the 3CXPhone, then in its configuration file find the section of the profile you want - it can be, for instance, [Profile2]. In this section, add DoRegistering=0, like

[Profile2]
    DoRegistering=0

Save the configuration file, then start 3CXPhone. The changed profile will not attempt to register to the specified PBX, that PBX becoming a simple destination.

NOTE: as I said, this is an "undocumented" feature, not fully tested, therefore use it as an "experiment". Definitely, it has not been tested on a remote (external) "PBX". However, hope it helps.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I tried that on version 4.0.13679.0 and just got "connecting.. [1}", with the number counting up to 3 then just saying not connected. If I try dialling anything I get the windows chime (the, "you idiot, you're doing something wrong" chime).
    Does it have to go in a particular order in the profile? This would be handy as I have a need to dial direct to an ATA on occasion as a back door (or backup) for DTMF control of "things".

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Lee

You tried what, the "DoRegistering" flag? I said we did not tried it for an "out-of-office" case, and the "connecting 1, 2 ,3" you mentioned is a strong hint it's exactly this case (1,2,3 in "connecting" means failed STUN attempts, and STUN is invoked only for an "out-of-office" configuration). Try it first for an intranet ("in office") configuration to see if is working.

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Set it for "in office" with the IP of an ATA (same LAN) that will accept a direct SIP call. It just sits there and says connecting...

Debug show everything OK except that it is trying to connect with the IP of the ATA.

If out of office won't work, and there is an issue with the use of STUN, then that would cause a problem if I were to try to use this somewhere other than on the same LAN (behind a router, private IP, elsewhere), would it not?

This ATA is using port 5069, which I put on the end of the IP in the ini file, didn't work. Tried using the proxy server setting, put in the IP and port of the ATA, just came up with destination not found..
    I do have an older WiFi SIP phone that is capable of direct SIP calls to an IP, when the need arises, so it isn't mission critical for myself, it would be a helpful feature in the next release if a "direct SIP" profile (tick box) were available in a future release, to allow you to type in the full destination from the keyboard, ...3243@myip,dyndns.info:5069 and have it go through.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm willing to give it a shot.

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Lee
    OK, I will send this post to our tech support for testing.

However, I'm quite confused about "to allow you to type in the full destination from the keyboard, ..3243@myip.dyndns.info:5069 and have it go through."

I'm confused because IF your 3CX PBX is configured to accept direct SIP calls, making such call - as you described - from a registered 3CXphone SHOULD be possible since ver 5.0.14065 (check this http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cxphone-5-0-14065-beta-notes-16995.html#p86233 on the bottom, "Automatic direct SIP call...").

Regards
    vali

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

At the moment I'm not trying to make a direct SIP call to a 3CX extension. I'm trying to call a phone attached to an ATA (unregistered). Many ATA's will allow a direct SIP call as long as the called number matches what is datafilled in the ATA. Thy also allow IP calling, which is essentially what I'm attempting to achieve.
    The ATA is an older SPA1001, which allows two registrations (lines) to ring a single device, which in my case is a DTMF controlled device to switch AC control modules. It can be reached as a 3CX extension, but if that fails for some reason, I can place a direct SIP call to it and reach the same device.

It appears that was the intention of the originator of this thread, as well.

As I say, it's not critical for me, I have other ways around it. If it's not possible, then so be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.