Calling extensions from different subnets

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Anonymous, Nov 22, 2006.

?

Do you use 3CX for internal use as PBX or external use - as cheap gateway to outside world

1. Internal use

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. International calls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi,

I am new in Voip and I installed 3CX software. It worked from the first try, BUT it worked only then when my voip ATA's were in same subnet, so in example if i have the following scenario, it works

3CX SERVER - IP: 10.0.0.1
    ATA1 - IP: 10.0.0.100
    ATA2 - IP: 10.0.0.101

but, in the next scenario, extensions cannot call eachother, the telefone rings on the handset of first device, but second device doesnt ring

3CX SERVER - IP: 10.0.0.1
    ATA1 - IP: 10.0.5.100
    ATA2 - IP: 10.0.10.101

if I try to dial outside (voip internet telephone calls) it works from both extensions, but they cannot call eachother.

also, in 3CX server in server log, you can clearly see that ip's of ATA's are: 111@10.0.5.100 and 112@10.0.10.101, so logically 10.0.0.1 cannot see 10.0.5.100 :)

you have to have in mind that subnet 10.0.10.101 might bee behind two routers: 10.0.0.0/24->10.0.5.0/24->10.0.10.0/24

So, how can I solv this problem, do I need STUN server, do I need VLAN's or VPN's, or do I need to get some other PBX software and not 3CX :)

Thanks for your time

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you check your subnet mask?

re-read your post. the subnet mask is wrong. with the /24, that will not work. if the third octec (from left) are diferente, you need a router to make them to work

for that scenario, you will have to have a subnet mask of /16

Virginio Reis

3. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Does your extensoins get registered in this scenario? If they are both registered, and you've settled all routing correctly, they should work in all scenarios. no matter whether you're calling from one to another, or from outside. You see, when extension is registered, PBX sends all packets to its IP, which is known from registration. So, unless you've wrong routing, these packets should reach destination. To check it, you may just ping both ATAs from PBX server machine. If they are both pingable and registered, but you still have any problem - please, send the logs to me or to 3CXSupport.

BTW, what exactly network mask are you using for this case?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You probably didnt understood the problem: I have a main network which are physically my servers connected to, 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.0.1 is in this case 3CX. In this subnet (switch) is installed one access point and in remote wireless location i've installed wireless router and it does NAT or you can call it masquerade (mikrotik), so actually from 10.0.0.0/24 it translates to 10.0.1.0/24 so actually 10.0.0.1 CANNOT see 10.0.1.1. I've mentioned that I tried 3CX within same subnet and it worked, but I am searching for solution what to do behind other routers/firewalls. One possible solution is VPN or EOIP, but it is not universal and also I have to do this on every installed router.

Any solution??

5. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Multiple networks

If currently the remote phones are on a separate remote network behind a firewall, it wont work. You would have to install 2 separate 3cx phone systems at present OR as you said use some kind of VPN.

However, this scenario is quite common and this is something we are planning for our enterprise edition - the capability to connect remote offices to the main PBX, probably via some kind of relay or adapted version of the server, so that one could still manage all settings centrally. Also we would have calls between extensions in remote offices go via the relay to avoid taxing the central office - remote office link.

We probably need until about April/May to complete this development.

Let me know if i understood your question properly

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes you understood my question and I am dissapointed :( . Trust me that most of commercial use of this kind of software will NEED to have this ability.

Thanks anyway.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I forgot to mention that I installed Axon and it was'nt same problem, phones actually rang (because ring signal goes throught TCP and it found its destination), but when I picked up phones, they made 'fake' connection within their network throught UDP, so actually it only rang and could'nt talk with eachother.

I have a proposition if it can be solved this way, I am not familiar with ATA devices standards, but you can analyse Axon, and Ring signall send throught TCP since it worked, but also voice to go throught TCP (I dont know if ATA's voice can do TCP :) ).