Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Calling from a virtual extention

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by KenC, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenC

I've got an extension defined that has no phone. I use MYPHONE to listen to messages left at this extension's mailbox.
    When I try to make an outside call from MYPHONE logged onto this extension, it says I can't since it isn't registered.

Is there a way to route the call from this (virtual) extension through a real extension? Or to make an outside call from MYPHONE through the pbx -> gateway -> pots line?

Thank you

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Can you assign an extra line on your phone to this extension?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Craig -

I think he accidentally posted the same twice.

In any event, it is not clear why a call using the same "Virtual" extension is vital if going out onto the PSTN. Once the call is made, I am assuming that the caller-id will not represent any extension number, but the ID associated to the business.

Craig's solution essentially makes the virtual extension a real extension and you could always set the rules up to forward to vmail, no matter the status and then when you see the MWI, retrieve same and then call using the same extension.

You might also try making a phone call out of vmail while retrieving the vmail. There is some security risk to this as it's just another avenue into the system that some could exploit. Also, I am not certain what ID will be used when the call is made from within vmail. I assume the extension's ID to which the Vmail box is registered. You will need to go to the settings, general and global and enable allow calls from vmail if not already enabled.

4. KenC

I've got no more unused (unregistered) extensions on my single desk phone. What I'd like to be able to do is click to dial from Myphone when responding to vm left at an unregistered extension. like having Myphone initiate an outside call from another (registered) extension. Then i' d pick up the desk phone to have the call. Can this be configured?

5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

No. MyPhone is nothing more than an interface to an extension. When the application is asked to do something, like make a call, it does so using the extension to which it is associated. It and the system need something real (known) by which to dial.

It is still not clear to me why the need as any caller-id implemented by your PSTN carrier will override any caller-id that you may have associated to the virtual extension. I think your only option is the one that Craig suggested (albeit with a differnet more capable phone) or you could try the one I offered using Vmail dial thru.

6. KenC

Ok. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.