• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Calling your main number from internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

805tech

Forum User
Reaction score
If you call your main number from internally are you suppose to hear it? I tried calling our main number from internally and I can see it connect but I do not hear anything.

Yes, you should have audio. You should also be using one trunk out to your provider, then one trunk back in, and the 3CX Server log should confirm this. Check the log, right after a call, for any error messages.

Have you had any other audio issues?

Does the 3CX Firewall Checker complete without errors?

It doesn't have to go out on a different trunk... does it?

We have had audio problems. People been cutting out and calls have been dropped. It seemed as soon as we restart our firewall router the problems go away except for us calling our main number issue.

no, can be the same trunk, just capable of multiple lines. Sounds like a firewall issue if you arn't getting any sound.

What brand of firewall, our fortigate had simular issues until we googled voip and the model and it showed how to disable the sip agrigator.

We have a sonicwall. Last night I ran the 3CX firewall checker and it all failed. I don't understand why it would fail and the phone system is working right now. We can make and receive calls. When I do a port checker on a external website is shows port 5060 open.

craigreilly said:
It doesn't have to go out on a different trunk... does it?

I should have said "different channel" as it can be the same trunk group.

805tech said:
We have a sonicwall. Last night I ran the 3CX firewall checker and it all failed. I don't understand why it would fail and the phone system is working right now. We can make and receive calls. When I do a port checker on a external website is shows port 5060 open.

It should not be an issue with port 5060 as that is used for call set-up, not audio.

it's most likely your rtp channels that are being blocked, I wouldn't worry too much about the firewall checker, some voip providers use registration strings and may not need all the ports open to work, but the RTP ports are why you are not getting sound.

If all other calls are working correctly, then why is this a concern? If it is because internal uses are required to dial the main number, for some reason, or are dialling it because they don't remember to dial the internal number, then you can do one of two things...

Spend more time trying to figure out what settings need to be changed, and/or replace hardware to make this work,

Or..implement a loopback SIP trunk.

Back in 2011, Sy posted the "trick" (his words). It was in the Partner Forum, which you may not have access to, so rather than post the link, I'll quote him..

"Re: internal users dialing did's instead of extension

Postby SY » 25 May 2011 Wed 06:04:21,
Technically, the trick can be implemented using loopback SIP trunk.
1. create SIP trunk with 127.0.0.1:5060
2. create outbound rule(s) for this trunk. They should intecept all DID numbers
3. attach existing inbound DIDs rules to this trunk

If everything is done correctly then all outgoing calls addressed to DID numbers will go to the loop back trunk and then returned as incoming calls which will be routed by inbound DID rules.
"

This was specifically to deal with internal users dialling the full DID if extensions, and using two channels per call, but you can just sent the call to the main number, or anywhere else. Of course, you have to create outbound rules for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.