Calls 2 RG ALL shows 1 random extn in myphone**IDEAS

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dmaunder, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmaunder

When incoming calls go to a Ring Group, and my phone is included in the ring group, while it is ringing, the line in My Phone where it shows the incoming call shows it as being an call to a particular member of the ring group, even though all of the phones are ringing. It doesnt always show the same extension. It also says "Dialling" when in my opinion, it should be saying "Ringing"

In the Call Status column, it shows

"Dialing 25 - [John Smith] 0:0:20

where extension 25 is one of the extensions in the ring group. Surely it should be showing here

Ringing 82 - [Support Dept ring group] 0:0:20

or whatever.

2. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Re: Incoming calls to Ring Group shows 1 random extn in myph

Please open this on ideas.3cx.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dmaunder

So that is all working as expected, ie displaying one random group member?

4. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Who told you that we use ideas factory for features only? I also want to see how many people actually complain about this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dmaunder

No one told me that and I didn't say it was. However I do think I need to know if the behavior I was seeing is normal or not. If what I suggested is exactly how it is meant to work and mine isn't working properly then I wouldn't think it made sense to post it to an "ideas factory". I would log it as an issue with support.

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

To be fair yes you have a point. However with the current design, we cannot show all ringing agents and that place provided in the MyPhone is to show members of a ring group that are ringing. So we decided to show 1 random extension, for the ringing period of time. This is currently a design restriction which we made by intention.

No this is not a bug and as I specified - If you open it on Support, support will come to me and I will tell them to tell you the same thing - go to ideas.3cx.com and post it there. Path to take is yours to make. Destination will always be the same. The analysis I will base on is the following and I will take time to explain for the benefit of other users too.

The ring group is a particular type of entity because it is the only component that does not contain a real DN. When you have something like this, there is no component to control it's functions (unlike the queue for example) therefore everything is based on the communication between the call manager and the phones directly with no intermediate component (like the queue manager) to send the stack combined updates. So the information provided is raw without manipulation.

This leads to the fact that to do this fix (sounds simple) makes it harder and more time consuming to achieve. So I am not going to upheave ring group functionality which is available in the free version, for something like this without having an approximate indication of how many people are actually bothered with this. Also this happens only in RING ALL groups and some users can find this obvious that we cannot show 20 members ringing in that space. The options were to either choose 1 extension or none. We chose to show at least 1 extension at random to save the functionality in Ring group random and prioritized because in these cases, since there is only 1 phone ringing, the MyPhone will update no problems. So again this is not a global problem in Ring groups in general. The problem is manifested only during the ringing stage of a Ring all Group.

This is why I sent you to ideas.3cx.com so I can see how many people vote for this and based on that, I will be in a better position to change judgement on this request.

If you want to see proper updates then use the queue functionality in ring all mode. Or use the ring group in prioritized or hunt mode. As you can see there already are a number of workarounds for this problem. This makes it harder for this feature to make it above other more important things that need to be implemented. However to close off, you are correct and approach in MyPhone for Ring all groups is wrong and would need proper adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.