• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

calls connecting, but no ring or audio--need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooeyhall

Reaction score
Having an on-going and intermittent problem with outgoing calls. URGENT I get a solution soon! It manifests itself as follows:

Caller places outside call via 3cx. After dialing the number, they don't hear any "ring" or maybe hear a ring after about 20 seconds of silence.

After about 20 seconds of silence, they may hear the called party saying Hello--several times as if they had picked up the call but couldn't hear anyone on the other end.

No audio appears to be going through, so the caller hangs up.

We are using 3cx version 10.2. It is running on its own Windows 7 computer. The phones are SNOM 370 phones. Outgoing calls are handled over PSTN analog lines, via a Grandstream gateway. The location is a small one with only 3 users.

This problem is happening to all phones at this location.

Both the gateway and the SNOM phones are running the latest firmware.

I have attached a portion of the 3cx log file, from one of the "failed" calls. I cannot see anything adverse in the log file to explain why the call is failing.

This problem may not show for several days. Then it may happen a couple of times a day. According to the user, today it was happening on every other call.

This has been happening for about 6 months now---basically since I setup 3cx at this location.

We have two other locations running 3cx for over a year now. They are setup almost identically to the "problem" location and haven't been experiencing any issues.

I have worked with both Grandstream and 3cx support, but haven't found the answer.

I have tried about everything I can think of to fix this problem. The issue has taken on some urgency, because I recommended 3cx for this company location. And I would like to propose to Management that we get additional 3cx installations in our company.

Needless to say, I am desperate for a miracle or advice on what I can do to fix this. Please get back if you need further info! I am having a meeting tomorrow with the manager of this "problem" location and want to have some answers for him.....

Attachments

• 3cx error.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 36
Being an intermittent problem, my first guess would be a gateway issue. You can probably confirm that by using Wireshark to capture the messaging between the gateway and 3CX. Does the gateway have the latest firmware? Do you have access to another gateway to try?

In very basic terms, when 3CX sends the digits to a gateway, a message will be sent back to acknowledge and at that time an audio path will be cut through so that the caller can hear the progress tones (busy, ringback, etc.) Perhaps this is not happening until the call is answered, which might be the result of an option on the gateway. That would not explain why it works some times.

Thanks for the reply. Yes--the Grandstream gateway is running the very latest firmware. I have also sent a copy of the existing configuration to Grandstream and they say everything looks ok.

I had a Patton gateway installed at this location originally, but we were then having issues with echo and low volume. That is why I changed to the Grandstream. It seemed to take care of the echo complaints, but now I am getting these "call not going through" issues.

Do you think that more than likely something like this is caused by the gateway? All calls at this small office are to the outside (through the gateway). They don't--or hardly ever--call phone to phone. At least I haven't heard them complain about any issues with that.

zooeyhall said:
Do you think that more than likely something like this is caused by the gateway? All calls at this small office are to the outside (through the gateway). They don't--or hardly ever--call phone to phone. At least I haven't heard them complain about any issues with that.

Did you have the same issue with the Patton? No, just echo? Then, yes, my first suspicion would be the gateway. Which model is it? That information might be helpful if they have had a similar issue with that particular model.

Hi,

It may sound odd, but you need to check following things:
1. Check configuration of the PSTN gateway and adjust them to the characteristics of physical line.
2. Check wires (including wire which connects gateway to the physical line)
3. Check network switch.

these things are different across all installations.

Regards

Leejor:

It is a Grandstream 4104. I do not recall having the "failed call" issue with the Patton--only the echo problem.

I am thinking of purchasing and trying another gateway---which ones other than the Patton and Grandstream does 3cx recommend?

zooeyhall said:
-which ones other than the Patton and Grandstream does 3cx recommend?

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

Before you a new gateway...try ....a factory reset, then set up the gateway again being sure to follow the 3CX setup instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RTYYU908
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.