• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Calls from PSTN not being detected by 3cx/patton gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalestineCold

Reaction score
I have been running 3cx 11 SP4 for about a month now. I have 2 POTS lines running into a Patton Gateway and 2 additional numbers provided by CallCentric. I am using a mixture of Polycom and Yealink phones.
In the last week, I have had 2 instances where a call received on the POTS lines were not picked up by the Patton Gateway. Currently, my business still has a non IP phone hooked up in parallel to the Patton gateway to make sure all the calls are actually ringing through to 3cx. In 99% of the calls that come in, the non IP phone will ring once, and then our digital receptionist will pick up the call. In these 2 cases, the non IP phone would ring and my receptionist would have to answer the old phone. In both cases, I immediately called both of the POTS numbers and was directed to the digital receptionist.
I would guess this is a problem with the Patton Gateway. I used 3cx to generate the configuration file and for all but those 2 cases, it has worked flawlessly. Has anyone encountered this problem?

It's an intermittent problem, of one the hardest to troubleshoot.

Did the calls that failed have anything in common, caller ID, from the same provider, perhaps from a mobile phones? I've seen other gateways have problems with the way certain names (the format) are being presented.

Did the callers call back and say that they had to call twice, or are you assuming that the call did not go through and perhaps the caller just hung up after one ring? If they did call back, did they every explain what happened...it just kept ringing, or, it rang once, then went dead?

Have you tried a reset/reload of the gateway? Is it using the latest firmware?

I know that the calls didn't go through to the 3cx system because we still have an analog phone connected in parallel to the Patton gateway. The analog phone rang until it was answered. Normally the analog phone will ring a single time and then the digital receptionist will answer

The gateway is on the latest firmware and we have not reset it because we can't seem to reproduce the problem.

The 2 calls seemed to come from telemarketers. The first presented no caller id information and the second was from a regional business that does electricity sales. The second call did have caller id information. Both a name and a number.

Wow, I think most of can only dream of having a gateway that rejected telemarketers calls. :)

Not being able to reproduce this is a big problem. If the Patton has logs, or can send logs to a syslog server, then you could place a call and see why it is rejected. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it has something to do with caller ID name (maybe number) format (characters).

Since you can't test it yourself you are just have to wait until it happens again, and that could take a long time.

You best bet might be to approach Patton support, or a Patton forum, to see if this has happened to any other (you failed to mention the exact model) Patton user. Someone else on this forum may post an answer, but you might was well hedge your bets.

Did you by chance check the 3CX log, to see if there was any notice of the call at the 3CX end?

I have the Patton smartnode 4114 since 3cx can handle the configuration. I just upgraded to the latest firmware so unfortunately,I no longer have the logs from that time period. I am no expert in the matter, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I reviewed them. I will try calling Patton and see what they have to say. 3cx has no log of the events bc 3cx never detected the incoming call. It sounds like this is a Patton issue. Until I get to the bottom of this, I am call forwarding calls from the PTSN to our voip number in order to remove the Patton gateway from the equation. Ill report back if I figure anything out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.