Calls quality - chopped voice

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RobLloyd, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

To start with, you using the free version - you can't use G729 at all, not even on the phones themselves. Change everything to g711 and start there.

Check out http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ and see what you get for internet quality. Your specs are fine but if your line is bad then your calls will be bad.

Choppy voice can come from several areas - bad routers, too much equipment in the way etc. What's your config?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. paragondie

Look at your silence suppression on your gateway and your phones. We turned these off and it helped with this problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ryandc

On my to-do list would be the following:
    1) Upgrade to the latest SPA-922 firmware. They ship with 4.1. Right now, 5.2.5 is the latest available.
    2) Internal vs. external calls. Is it choppy on calls between extensions? Or only on calls going outside? If it's only on calls going outside, check the following:
    a) jitter level (set it higher)
    b) codecs-- make sure you're using ones your VOIP provider supports. Try all of these, in order from most bandwidth to least. Codecs that compress more introduce a bit of latency but use less bandwidth.
    c) Make sure "bind to media server" isn't checked for ANYTHING. That'll hash things up unless it's absolutely necessary.
    3) If it's happening on both internal and external callls:
    a) check server QOS
    b) check router QOS (if it supports it)

That's all I can recommend. I run SPA-922s here, and they're perfectly clear.
    -Ryan

4. code937

I also have a choppy line when calling other people with a low volume. I've got a budge tone 102 and in the config silence sup is switched off, does anyone know the best codecs to use in order of 1 - 8 on the phone and is there anything i can do on the 3cx system to stop choppyness.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.