Calls To Ring Group Ignore Forward Status of Extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by SirBill, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirBill

Calls that teminate to a ring group (v6.0.806) ignore the forward status of the extension. I have a ring group (extension 800) containing two extensions (101 and 300). The group is set to "RingAll". Extension 100 is set to forward all calls to an outside number, the other extension is configured normally (just ring until answered). The voip provider line is configured to send calls to ext 800 (the ring group). Test calls to the voip provider number ring both extension even though extension 100 is set to forward all calls. A call to extension 100 from extension 101 forwards correctly. A call to extension 800 from extension 100 rings extension 300 and extension 101. I notice the log shows calling:RingAll800:101ext.101@Dev:sip:101@xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:5070;rinstance=af4aac5fa0530203

The ida here is to ring my office phone and my cell phone at the same time. That would allow me the maximum opportunity to answer the call before it is transfered to voice mail. I would appreciate any help anyone could provide.

I know I could configure the system to forward on no answer, but the caller would have to wait through all the rings. Thanks again for any help.

2. SirBill

The end goal is to ring my office extension (300) and my cell phone at the same time when a call comes in from the sip trunk.
    No extension 100 is not in the ring group, it was configured to test the operation of the other extensions and the group.
    Extension 300 is my desk phone and extension 101 configured to forward all calls to my cell phone.

The ring group (800) contains extension 300 and extension 101 and is set to ring all. The sip trunk is set to send calls to extension 800.
    I expected calls to the sip trunk to ring extension 300 and my cell phone. What really happens is extension 300 and extension 101 ring even though 101 is set to forward all calls. My next step was to use extension 100 as follows:

1) call to extension 300 - the phone rings as expected
    2) call to extension 101 - my cell phone rings as expected because 101 is has forward all call to my cell number
    3) call to extension 800 - extension 300 rings and extension 101 rings. I expected my cell phone to ring because extension 101 is forwarded all call to my cell phone.

The reason I want this is my current service, that I would like to replace with the 3cx, rings the office extension and the cell number at the same time. I can answer the call from either. If I leave the office I can still answer my calls without taking any other action. Since both phones ring, my customer does not have the extended wait for my cell to ring.

3. Ryandc

According to my best recollection, ring groups will never forward to an external extension. Queues or ring-alls. Archie, if memory serves, was quite adamant about it in a previous post.
    -Ryan

4. SirBill

I was hoping for an answer not a recollection. Things may have changed since the recollection. I understand this is a member lead forumn, but I expected Keith to post since he asked for a more detailed description. I was hoping to terminate my current vendor and use the 3CX instead. OH WELL.

5. jim@itstod.se

jim@itstod.se New Member

You can try to make a phone register with ext 101 and set the phone to transfer all incoming calls. If your phone supports more than one SIP-account you can use account #2 on your phone for this.
    In 3CX, disable call forwarding for ext 101 since the phone will do this when it gets the call.
    This should work for calls coming through a group or queue as well as for direct calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SirBill

Matt - I am beginning to think you are correct that the 3CX currently does not ring an internal extension and and external. I say does not because I believe it could if programed. I still believe this is a bug because it functions the same way when using internal extensions. Here is the configuration.
    1) Sip line configured to direct calls to ring group 800
    2) Ring group 800 is set to ringall and contains extension 300 and extension 100 (yes I changed it)
    3) Extension 100 is forward all calls to extension 101(soft phone)
    4) Calls to Sip line ring extensions 300 and 100.
    So the forward all calls does not work with internal extensions either. If this is by design then OK.

I have learned that I really would like the 3CX to have the ability to fork calls (sounds dirty or a lot of fun.) That is a simultanious ring instead of a ring group. There is a big difference. Both my service providers offer this ability and it is really handy for those of us that leave the office on a regular basis. Call is presented to multiple places, first one to answer get the call.
    That then becomes a request for an enhancement NOT a bug report. I will add the request for the enhancement in the correct area.

7. SirBill

Unfortunately not. I believe I would need the ability to configure a single extension to ring to multiple places. That is how both my current voip service providers (home and office) work. I configure my home service to ring multiple telephones by adding the "Simultenous Ring" numbers in that feature field. I added my cell phone (972) xxx-xxxx to the simultenous ring field. So when someone calls my home (214) xxx-xxxx that phone and my cell (972) xxx-xxxx ring. If I am home both phones ring and I have the option of answering the call from either phone. If I am away from home, I answer using the cell phone. The business phone, different vendor, works the same way.
    The telephone number is (214) yyy-yyyy. I added my cell number to the simultenous ring field option. When someone calls the business both the business phone and my cell phone ring. Once I add the number to the feature I do not have to do anything special to get All my calls no mater where I am.

I have not tried to configure a DID this way, but the available parameters do not look promising. I still think the 3CX is a GREAT product. It meets all my requirements with this one exception. I know I could forward on no answer and this may be a temp solution for me.

8. SirBill

FYI - I made the request in the feature forum. Turns out mine was not the first - imagine that.
    I also learned, after additional testing, an extension configured as part of a ring group will ring if it is registered. Forward it and it will ring. Set the no answer parameters to anything you like and it WILL ring. It rings no matter what- I think that is a bug - period, dot, dash, dot.
    (I know this hoarse is dead, but if I want to flog it one more time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.