Can 3CX V15 support more than one IP Authenticated SIP Trunk?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dan_tx, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Do you have more than one IP Authenticated SIP trunk with incoming calls working on both on v15?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2017.
  1. Yes, I have multiple trunks, all IP based authentication, no incoming call issues.

25.0%
  2. No, I don't have mutiple trunks or they are not IP based authentication.

25.0%
  3. No, I have tried setting up multiple trunks, but am experiencing the issue described above.

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_tx

dan_tx New Member

In light of an issue that appears to be effecting multiple people, myself included, I was wondering if anyone on the latest version has been able to successfully have incoming calls with more than one IP Based authentication SIP trunk or VOIP provider at the same time? I think it would help prioritize this issue if it can be noted it is effecting all users.

It appears for myself and others that a bug exist where whenever an IP authenticated SIP trunk is modified, it causes all other IP authenticated based SIP trunks to have all incoming calls reported by the PBX as Proxy Auth Required. If you go into these trunks that are now reporting this error and "edit" them, then back out, they now can take incoming calls without reporting this, however the other IP authenticated SIP trunks in the system now report Proxy Auth as well.

For more details on this issue being reported, here are a few posts.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/v15-incoming-issues-with-multiple-trunks.47430/

https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...trunk-breaks-other-sip-trunk-everytime.47339/

Possibly related below, user didn't mention running a wireshark but switched from User ID to IP based SIP reg and had issues with multiple trunks.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/multiple-dids-via-vitelity-via-ip-non-registration.46872

********UPDATE/WORKAROUND***********

3CX provided a workaround for the issue. See post below.
    You will have errors in your 3CX log with this workaround, and they will show as red trunks / unregistered, but the calls are working.

Attached Files:

#1 dan_tx, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. Daniel Lent

Just actually tried this today with a customer. v15, Windows. No go with the 2nd SIP.

3. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello there,

To those of you that are having issues with the IP based trunks try using a "fake" Authentication ID in your trunks. This should be different to each trunk. E.g. first trunk authentication ID 12345 second trunk 45678. Save the changes and give it a try

dan_tx likes this.
  5. albawater

I can confirm this works for me.

6. Daniel Lent

Confirmed that it works, but it then changes the status indicators for the trunks. Definitely not expected behavior for the feature.

7. Daniel Lent

• SIP Server/Call Manager ID: 12294
      Call or Registration to ***** SIP Trunk has failed. sip:****:5060 replied: 501 Not Implemented; from IP:*****:5060

Also, Messages like this in the logs make me nervous about using it this way.

8. dan_tx

dan_tx New Member

Just tried this and it is a successful work-around for the issue we are having. I was able to successfully do incoming and outgoing voice calls using 2 different IP authenticated SIP trunks (one in house hosted PBX and other VOIP provider). Upon changing IP authenticated to "Register/Account Based" and putting in a fake/dummy Account number for each, I could then modify either sip and they both continued to work.

As mentioned already, this causes errors to appear in your 3CX log every time you edit a sip trunk, since when you try to edit them they try and register and fail, which if they were actually Account based would be bad. They also will no longer show as "UP" in the dashboard, however I don't see why they will not continue to work, since 3CX will send the calls over them even if they are showing or reported as down (unless that changes).

Thank you YiannisH for the quick response and viable work-around. Does 3CX make public a known issues list that something like this is documented to exist, similar to other vendors in their release notes for example? Can we expect a fix in the next few service packs to address this?

9. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Sorry i was not clear in my previous reply. Do not change the IP authenticated Trunk to registered based. Just add an authentication ID so the PBX can distinguish between the 2 trunks.
    However i am glad to hear this works for you. This is an issue caused because we do not accept the authentication ID in 2 trunks (null is considered a value).
    Make sure that when SP5 arrives (right around the corner) you remove the value as this behaviour will change.

10. Daniel Lent

So. SP5 has arrived. Can I get official word as to how this behavior should be before I upgrade the client that this affects?

11. dan_tx

dan_tx New Member

We didn't remove the value and everything appears to work the same. It may work with the value removed but have not tried.

12. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi all,

The way the PBX identifies an incoming call in SP5 has changed. The PBX will now try to match a DID in all trunks. If it finds one match i will route the call to that trunk. If it finds two or more matches then the PBX will drop the call. So if you have DID's configured in 2 trunks and they don't need to be, then remove them to avoid issues.
    Now if you do need them and you do run into this issue then options were added under the inbound parameters of each trunk that can be enabled depending on the case so the PBX can identify different trunks based on something unique.
    Please note that the above apply to IP based providers as authentication based providers use a different method to authenticate to the PBX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.