Can an '.EXE' be run when a call comes in to the PBX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by colin2710, Dec 1, 2007.

1. colin2710

Hi there,

Can an '.EXE' with parameters be run when a call comes in to the PBX?

If so, how is this done?

Regards to all - Colin

2. touficjohn

Oooh that could be very handy indeed...
    Could call in from my mobile to restart a service....

Though I have a feeling it cant be done.... You never know though! ;)

3. Mori

Mori New Member

I can garantee that it wont be in v5...
    However , if the response and feedback is positive i cant see why not.
    How its done, now thats the question.. :D

Btw. For what purpose do you need to run an .exe?

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Actually, it could be easily done, but it will tremendousely downgrade system's security. I suppose not only you would like to have ability to reboot YOUR system, or run some trojan. (I mean hackers can try to use it for not intended actions). So all such additions is carefully planned before come to life.

5. silentfun

silentfun Member

i think colin2710 don´t mean that you can run a exe from remote (that where a high risk) but if i right understand he mean that he want to trigger a allready installed application with a phone call. and shure that is possiple. if you seek around this forum you find some script that makes a extension that tell the caller the time and date. the same way you can trigger a exe on your system. but as allways if you modify the scripts of 3cx it can make your PBX go crasy :_) -- but possibe 3cx give some virtual extensions where whe can put in some parameter for command line (possible with a pin code because there is no need that every one can switch my House)

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

If someone changes PBX's code - he takes the risk of breaching security himself. We do not want to take that risk. Later on we will come up with some solutions for this task, but as usually we should carefully think about all possible risks involved.

7. silentfun

silentfun Member

i ashure that you take care

thats best what you can do for us.

Thanks

8. huzer1

This has my vote for being a good idea

9. eddietang

Count my vote in to.

10. colin2710

Hi There,

One thing that we wanted to do was - when a call comes into the 3CX, the CLI details gets written to a database. We then can keep a external database of call logs from our clients.

Regards - Colin

11. cjammer

cjammer New Member

Or, how about when a call comes in a Users keystrokes get logged to a database so they can lookup or store information regarding a customer account or something like that.

Cjammer

12. colin2710

Hi there,

We are replacing an 'old' IVR system - 4 port Dialogic hardware card connected to BT (our UK PSTN landline provider) with a PSTN system called FeatureLine (which is essentially just a hosted remote PBX). Calls come into our Dialogic card, where the server is running an IVR program called VoiceGuide.

As we have about 20 or so servers collocated in a data centre, we think it is about time to replace our 'old' system and go VOIP.

Our 'old' system answers the calls and prompts the caller to press 1, 2, 3 or 4 after which the Dialogic card puts the call on hold and sends the call to the appropriate extension by announced transfer. When the called extension is picked up, a .wav file is played to the callee with the name of the caller. This is done by a database script that looks at the Caller ID and if it exists in the database it plays a specific .wav file, e.g. fredflintstone.wav, which we record for each of our clients and which simply says the client's name.

So when we answer a call we hear something like "Fred Flinstone - press 1 to accept, any other key to send to voicemail". Thus, most of the time we know who is calling and can decide if we wish to accept the call or not.

The IVR system is connected to a SQL database and we have a website through which we can control it from anywhere. We can also change the destination and send calls to an external landline or mobiles - all controlled from the website. The whole process is started when an .EXE is run when the call comes in and the CLI parameters are passed to the IVR system and database.

We now have the 3CX IVR working very well i.e. - press 1 for sales and it transfers the caller to our office landline or we can pick the call up VOIP. We can change the configuration very easily through the 3CX web interface and we are very happy with this as it is, but would still like to emulate part or all of the Caller ID facility we had with our old system.

Usually, people look at the Caller ID and if they want to talk to that person they pick up the phone, if not they let it ring until it goes to voicemail. This works fine in the UK for both PSTN and VOIP, but we work abroad sometimes where the PSTN telephone network does not always forward Caller ID. However the Internet latency is long which means VOIP from the UK is not that good, so we use PSTN when abroad.

1) Does anyone know if the can be a variable (say $divertnumber) could be set in any those fields?

2) Can a .wav file be played to the callee when the callee picks up the phone?

There are a few things more that I would like to do - too many to list at the moment.

Sorry that the above is so long!!

Regards - Colin

13. colin2710

Hi there,

Well - my last post killed the topic !!!.

Regards - Colin