Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Can I have direct remote extensions connect via hostname?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by FGCUHank, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

We have 2 Internet connections, and a dual wan router. We are in a fairly rural area and both connections are lousy. Between the two, you could argue I have one reliable connection.

The dual wan router is configured to move the rules back and forth and our external dns is configured to fail over as well.

I have some direct remote extensions that have been working when the link they are configured for is up. They connect via IP address as described in the remote-extensions blog entry on the site.

I tried configuring a remote extension to connect to a valid host name. telecom.notmydomainname.com and watched it try to register. The 3cx security blacklisted the client. The hostname resolves correctly from the 3cx server and the public net.

Is what I am trying to do legal/possible in SIP?

Thanks in advance.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: Can I have direct remote extensions connect via hostname

Perhaps.

I suggest you de-blacklist the ip and then try your test again, but this time look at the logs. It would seem that using your fqdn did resolve to your ip and then traversed the firewall to 3cx, so then the question is why 3cx blacklisted the ip? This is usually because the extension was not authorized for use outside the LAN or maybe for invalid credentials.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you want a remote extension to connect using a URL (I assume you are using a dynamic DNS service), then that name (name. telecom.notmydomainname.com) has to be datafilled in 3CX as the Domain Name (advanced settings)

4. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Thanks Leejor, you may have it.

I have our domain parked at dnsmadeeasy.com We have 2 statics, one on each circuit. The cable is the main, if it goes down the router fails to the dsl and dnsmadeeasy points all the records to the ip of the dsl.

I'll give it a shot and post back.

5. FGCUHank

FGCUHank New Member

Thanks Leejor, this seems to have done the trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.