Can I limit a call duration to a certain number?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MikeMelga, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMelga

Hi.

I have 3CX running without problems.
    My only problem (which is not 3CX related) is this:

I have an automated procedure that dials my mobile phone on certain occasions using a voip provider. If the mobile phone is disconnected or without service, sometimes the calls 'freezes' and I get charged for many minutes of a supposed 'conversation'.

Is there any way I can limit call duration for a certain number? I know it can be done system wide, but I only want to limit to that particular number :(

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mike

2. jasit

jasit New Member

If you are using a internal extension, try changing the extension to using the PBX delivers audio, it might help prevent those issues of it thinking the line is still connected.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of, since it sounds as if there is no "BYE" message coming in from the VoIP provider, is to send the call out on a PSTN trunk. Setting the gateway to disconnect, after a time-out on silence, would drop the call, after a time. Obviously, if passing the CID is important, then this is not going to fly. I'm not sure if there are any VoIP gateways that would use, or even require silence detection.

4. MikeMelga

jasit,

'PBX delivers audio' option is already on :(

leejor,

There is no silence detection option on the voip gateway :(

Well...I'll try to use a workaround.

Thanks anyway!

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are desperate, you could route the call through a PSTN gateway (single line, SPA-3102 type), so that it has some control over the call (you can make use of silence detection).

In outbound rules, calls to your mobile number route to a new trunk group with one member. That new group routes out on the FXO portion of the 3102 which is connected to the FXS port on the same device (or another ATA). the FXS/ATA is registered as a 3CX extension and will then initiate a call back though 3CX and out on the VoIP trunk group to you mobile. Outbound rules would have to be set-up to avoid conflict of routing you mobile number differently in the two cases. You could either specify which extension could use the number, or use a different "dialled' number, then modify it in the rules before sending it out.

Drawbacks are that the originators number won't be passed on, but you can have a "unique" number assigned to the 3102 FXS extension sent to the mobile so that you know it is a forwarded call. The other issue may be low audio levels. You may have to raise levels a bit but avoid echo problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.