Can the 3CX services work from a Public IP address

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AndyM, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyM

Can the 3CX services work from a Public IP address ?

I ask, just that the install manual seems to refer too just a local network install ... but we have users in different physical locations, so centrally hosting the pbx is simplist.

The problem is, I cannot seem to get our softphone from connecting (register).

2. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

We have a similar situation - users in different locations, and 3CX on a server in a datacentre.

Note the comments on the General Settings page against the Ports Options:

You need to make sure that traffic from external extensions can reach 3CX, and so need to make sure that any firewall / router is forwarding traffic for the ports for internal calls.

3. AndyM

thank you very much for the previous comments -- apprieated :)

mmm... I see. Just that on the dedicated Windows 2008 Server (datacentre) -- does not have a firewall installed, so in theory all the ports should be available.

I have been trying to check the pbx extensions, by using a different softphone product, Bria (previously called - xten/xlite).

Have setup x2 extensions -- registering ok, can call each extension, but there is no audio either way.

Followed the install instruction (3cx server) -- which requested the Desktop Experience add-on to be installed (done), in order some required audio codecs to be made available (also rebooted server to complete install) ~ this appears to have had no affect either with getting the sound to work.

Locally, the firewall used is Windows Live OneCare -- have tried with the firewall on and off -- same results.

Is there something I have missed out with initial configurations etc?

4. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

Are you sure - I thought Win2k8 by default has firewalling enabled (built into the OS, rather than a separate product). Check your network settings on the server - I think you'll find a Windows Firewall option / tab.

xten has diagnostic logging - turn that on and see if you can see what ports it's trying to use to establish RTP streams.

5. cgoran

If you are trying to connect extension from outside (internet) then enable stun server in your client software. After you will have audio both ways.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. hairymonster2000

I have everything working fine on the host machine but keep getting Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown when remote users try to call. This happens whether it's an existing extension or a 'spare' extension used purely for out of office users. The remote extension shows as registered on the line status panel and in server staus.

Firewalls are tuned off and all ports are forwarded from the host router to the host pc. Any ideas?

7. radcomp

i found that with some phones they cant resolve stun i have given these and live ip aswell and all working fine

cheers
    Josh

8. ecwilson

ecwilson New Member

Radcomp

What phones did you find that did not resolve stun???

ecwilson

9. radcomp

Had trouble getting a linksys SPA 942 on a remote site

cheers
    Josh

10. ecwilson

ecwilson New Member

Most of the time it is not the phone but the router that is being used on location.
    Those phones work just like the Grandstream/Cisco/Snom & others. But the setup
    for each is a bit different because of each maker. If you are still having problems
    with that phone let us know???

ecwilson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.