Can use noip.com dns for 3cx fqdn ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ecom2, Mar 27, 2018.

1. ecom2

Hello,

I would like to know if i can use the DNS service at noip.com for a customer 3CX fqdn, if yes, how to do this?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

3CX fqdn are controlled by 3CX, so no you can not use noip.com

If the customer does not have a fixed Wan IP address, under Settings - Network Settings - Change External IP Configuration to 'Dynamic Public IP'

3CX will update the dns, when the system updates the details at the next update time (Different version of 3CX, have different schedules - sorry can not remember them)

#2 Saqqara, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    ecom2 likes this.
  3. ecom2

Thanks for your help, I forgot to mention using noip.com's dns service to as an fdqn for a 3cx installation in the cloud, for example ovh, who have an static ip. why it is not possible?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

While your DDNS service will continue to "point" to the correct IP. It won't be used in any auto-provisioning of devices. If you were to manually provision a device using your DDNS, the Invite would probably be rejected due to the DDNS not matching the Domain name set in 3CX.

I have not looked into any ways around this.

ecom2 likes this.
  5. ecom2

Why the provisioning would be rejected in such scenario ? Before, i have done an installation by using a customs fqdn from my website hosting, i have create a sub domain and pointed it to my hosted VPS on OVH, then install 3cx and i can receive updates, phone provisioning without any issue. Now i want to try using a dns service to point that subdomain to the hosted server IP. that i would like to know if it can work .

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

7. ecom2

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

9. ecom2

Thanks, i am not having any issue, i am just wanna know if its gonna work as i am planing to use dns for customers instead asking them to buy a domain, hosting etc.

Thanks

10. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So the 3CX provided FQDN will work for this scenario. Customer doesn't need to purchase anything.

11. ecom2

I know, but i was referring for customers who need perpetual licence and want a customized domain name.

12. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

You can get a 3CX FQDN with perpetual domains. You mean for customers who pay for a perpetual domain initially and then don't buy maintenance and thus wouldn't qualify for the 3CX FQDN? But as leejor said 3CX doesn't care what the name is if you do your own. You are just responsible for all aspects of it, including SSL.

StefanW likes this.