can we do this

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by leejor, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It depends on exactly what services you want to provide for them. Of course, remote extensions could be provisioned, and the users could call in the same manner as others in the office, or a second server could be provisioned. Special VoIP trunks could send any incoming calls directly to these extensions, and any calls they made could be routed out over the same trunks. However, 3CX isn't a replacement for POTS service and any billing, especially long distance, would have to be kept track of.

It might just be easier to have the SIP devices, that they planned on using, registered directly with VoIP providers, and have the end users take responsibility for all expenses.

As I said, it all depends on what you what to do.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well, 3CX isn't designed to be a replacement for a Class 5 switch, it's a PBX with features for an office environment. Extension numbers are not even 7 digits, let alone 10. I suppose you can simulate PSTN service, but it isn't... really.

These people will have to pay for, or perhaps share some sort of service anyway to allow outgoing calls, I suppose that they can share a trunk and split the cost, but that is sort like going back to party-line service. Again, someone has to work out billing for long distance. As I said before, it sounds like it would be easier just to have them subscribe directly to a VoIP provider, or go for something like Vonage, Magicjack or Nettalk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.