Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Can you purchase one number for 16 extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tch, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tch

tch

Hi,
    I'm brand new to 3CX but do know networking and have installed a few PAP ata devices.
    I have a customer who needs 16 extensions.
    Can one purchase one (1) phone service from VOIP provider and enable 16 extension phones?
    The office building is already networked with lan rj45 and rj11 wall jacks.
    So, connected to each rj11 phone wall jack would be an analog phone. In utility room where rj11's terminate at punchdown block I would connect (with pigtail, or?) an ATA (linksys PAP2t device). Then into a 16 port switch and then to server with 3CX installed.
    Is this a doable setup?
    Customer does not want to pay for IP phones.
    Or do I need to purchase separate services for each extension?
    Budget issues.
    Thanks

EDIT: I don't believe I can get away with (1) one VOIP account and 16 extensions.
    And, with the linksys PAP ata device. I can I get 2 phone lines on one ATA device?

2. qisback

It depends on how you want the 16 extensions to be set-up i.e.:
    - 16 telephone numbers that go to a corresponding phone
    - 1 telephone number that goes to the PBX and then the user enters an extension number
    - 1 telephone number that goes to all extensions

There are a few ways of achieving what you want, I personally have one external number that goes to a digital receptionist and prompts the user for the department they require (press 1 for sales, 2 for customer support, etc) and then this transfer's them to the correct extension.
    If you want 16 numbers and 16 extension (one external number goes directly to an extension) then I believe you need to find a provider that supports this (research DID providers), otherwise you'd need 16 accounts each with one number.

I believe what you are asking for could be achievable however understand that each phone would need to be SIP capable. Whether this means that its an actual IP phone or simply an analogue phone connected to a SIP adapter, the phone themselves have to be "Sip-i-fied" somehow.

I hope this helps, I however I am by no means an expert in this field so someone might correct me if I'm wrong.

3. tch

tch

Thanks!
    So, sounds like one may be able to get a single Phone # (VOIP/SIP account) and then enable 16 extension phones?
    With 3CX

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

It can be done the way you want.

You buy a sip trunk and have your 1 phone number. This goes into 3cx.

You then create a digital assistant (to give the caller menu options) or a queue (to route the calls to all phones either in a hunt group or ring all).

Rather than a PAP2T there are similar ATAs (forgive me i cant remember the numbers but linksys make them too) that have 8 and 16 phone ports. Wire normal rj11s into your current block to make it through. In this ATA you configure each port as an extension (e.g. 101, 102, 103, 104 etc.) and you are done :) the 16 port ATA is way cheaper than 8 PAP2Ts (roughly the cost of 2 or 3 PAP2Ts).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.